Rookie Audition

Hello DCP,

I'm a long time reader of this forum, though this is my first time posting on here. I am a senior in high school and would finally like to start marching drum corps. I am aiming for an Open Class corps, Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets. I have received advice from veterans in various corps and even have a private tuba instructor from a local university, but the thought of auditioning and putting all that work on the line frightens me haha. As my username reads, I am a tuba player. It's mid- October, when everything kind of falls together for me, and I'm scared out of my mind. I dedicate at least 1-2 hours to my audition piece for 3-4 days a week. I am requesting for some advice from hopefully a veteran that could ease my mind haha, and maybe shed some light on the whole audition process, so I can increase my chances at getting callbacks and marching with my dream corps.

Thank you so much!

Keep working! I'm sure you'll do great. Show them that you want it and I'm sure you'll do fine. You seem to be doing everything right- but make sure you have a physical routine going of SOME kind. I'm doing my best to get at least 3 miles a day in.

Also, always have a backup plan.

There are other Open Class Corps in California that rank right up there with SCVC like Blue Devils B, Impulse from Buena Park, City Sound, and Velvet Knights. If distance is a problem, corps will arrange housing for you during all-days.

• Like 1

Thank you! I was just kind of wondering how exactly they test you in terms of marching haha. I do some resistance work outs daily and have been doing 4 miles on days when I can. Yup, I have some alternatives, but hopefully I don't have to resort to them! Does anyone know the number of people who try out for these feeder-type corps? I've been getting some, uh..., discouraging comments from some people haha, and while it's not getting to me, it does make me wonder. Thanks again! :smile:

Not going to lie to you, the tuba section is the easiest section to make at Vanguard Cadets (as it is the hardest to fill). They have high standards though, Come to the audition camp prepared and have a great attitude.

Haha, phew... I've been playing for 3 years only... :sad: Sadly I regret picking clarinet over tuba back in middle school haha, but again thanks! When you say standards, what exactly do you mean? With time boiling down, I'd like to emphasize more on those things lol.

Haha, phew... I've been playing for 3 years only... :sad: Sadly I regret picking clarinet over tuba back in middle school haha, but again thanks! When you say standards, what exactly do you mean? With time boiling down, I'd like to emphasize more on those things lol.

Clear articulations, balance well with other players, work on long tones and flow studies. The staff for the hornline is incredible and will tell you the rest at the first camp.

If you are in the Santa Clara area, there are 2 workshops before the audition camp on December 2nd and December 9th at the SCV Corps hall. If you decide to come to the December 2nd camp, please be aware there will not be any of the SCVC corps horns (or very few) there, they'll be at the A-Corps auditions. So if you have access to your own tuba it would be best to bring it. At the workshop, you'll learn their marching technique and playing style (roughly at least).

I think I'll be going to the December 9th workshop, I'm coming all the way from Southern California haha. So the one day workshop is something that is definitely worth the trip right? Hm, would it be a good thing to overemphasizing playing those things (the expressive aspects of music)? Also, how much does a horn typically weigh...?

I think I'll be going to the December 9th workshop, I'm coming all the way from Southern California haha. So the one day workshop is something that is definitely worth the trip right? Hm, would it be a good thing to overemphasizing playing those things (the expressive aspects of music)? Also, how much does a horn typically weigh...?

That's up to the brass staff, but play the music like you're singing it. It should be lyrical. That's up to you if you want to come all the way up from So-Cal, typically the workshop is 2 1/2 hours of marching, 1 hour lunch break (you can bring your own food, buy some in the bingo hall or leave for a place like subway), and 3 hours of music. SCV and SCVC march Yamaha horns, so the tubas are the lightest horns on the market. I haven't played on one in a while, but I think it's around 18-20 pounds.

So it'll be about a day's worth of learning haha. Is it a good idea to bring a tuba? A friend told me to bring a concert horn if possible, but I don't think it's very convenient when flying to Santa Clara and it just seems out of place. Is that so? All I know is definitely no sousaphones, and that there aren't enough horns to go around for the A corps, but I'm not too sure about the Cadets corps.

Well, if you're coming on December 9th, the horns will be back at the corps hall. If you want to you can play on your concert horn, but the rest of the hornline will be using marching horns.