What age to start?

Malaguena Salerosa

Good question.

If you think she'll retain information from lesson to lesson, go for it. Ensure that you spend some time finding an excellent resource or teacher for her to start learning from because you want to start her with the best and most basic information possible. If she starts developing bad habits at an early age, they're only going to be harder to break down the road. If she starts developing great habits at an early age, she'll be amazing down the road.

I teach percussion students as young as 6th grade and can tell you that quality repetitions of basic motions are some of the most important things you can do for a young student. The more conceptually challenging concepts will have to wait until she's older and has the brain power to process it all - that's just life - but getting her quality instruction that will guide her through quality repetitions of fundamental technique habits will really go a long way.

Hope this helps!

I completely agree. I currently have students as young as 5th grade, and one of the schools I am teaching has beginning percussionists as young as 3rd grade. When dealing with students at that age, a well defined and easily understood structure is very important. I completely agree that quality repetition is key. With the right teacher, you can establish good habits that will stay for a lifetime.

If you are talking about a private lesson situation, the quality repetition of basic concepts needs to be accompanied by a strong sense of "fun," and repetitive accomplishment. Achievable goals, consistently met, will make a strong musician out of anyone, no matter what age.

Now, everyone is different, but 4 years old might be a little young for a structured "lesson" situation. Maybe take her to a drum circle? Many communities have drum circles that meet on a regular basis. That might be a good opportunity to get her playing percussion at a very young age in a fun, yet slightly "structured" environment. But like I said before, everyone is different, and like DCDrummer said, if you think she will retain the information, go for it!

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

But is it HER dream to march in 15 years?????????????

Don't become one of those parents that lives THEIR dream through the kid.IF she wants to learn to play a drum FINE if she wants to play a violin piano do ballet jazz etc thats FINE TOO!!

How old is she now 4? Might want to wait until she is at least 7 to start.

Also is she going to be capable to CARRY a drum?? Will she grow to say 5'7'' 5'8'' or will she be small 5'1'' etc The drums these days are responsable for many back/knee problems later in life due to extreme weight.IMHO even the carrier adds weight.

I played a 12x15 ten lug snare with a sling and I have back/knee issues 35 years later. Some were wood some were metal some were wood AND metal.

The IDIOT who invented "CHROME O WOOD" should be shot!!.

Take a deep breath dad let her make HER choice she's only 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!