Brass and Cold

contraBand

Follow up question then: of the aforementioned possibilities would seem to be the most effective? I have a relatively limited time with which to experiment :-/

Edited by laser.lemon

I would say the safest bet it to just make sure your valves are oiled extremely well. Right before you go outside, and periodically throughout the game. The enemy is the moisture that builds up in your horn from blowing warm air through a cold horn. Oil will help keep that away, but only to a certain extent.

I have had band championships in under 20 degree weather. We did have a few issues, but all was working for the show. We oiled the valves before we loaded the truck. We then wiped and oiled again when we took them out after the road trip. Oiled once while warming up, and then a wipe and oil before packing them away after the show.

And just keep the valves moving and try to keep air going in the horn non stop.

Just an update, it turned out to be mid-forties and partly cloudy all day at our game today, so we never got a chance to try any of these methods... :glare:

Best, least poisonous/corrosive solution: clean your horn ahead of time and make sure everything is oiled up, oil will drive out the moisture that will freeze.

I would say the safest bet it to just make sure your valves are oiled extremely well. Right before you go outside, and periodically throughout the game. The enemy is the moisture that builds up in your horn from blowing warm air through a cold horn. Oil will help keep that away, but only to a certain extent.

I have had band championships in under 20 degree weather. We did have a few issues, but all was working for the show. We oiled the valves before we loaded the truck. We then wiped and oiled again when we took them out after the road trip. Oiled once while warming up, and then a wipe and oil before packing them away after the show.

And just keep the valves moving and try to keep air going in the horn non stop.

Did a Mid-Winter parade in the PA coal region (Pottsville) when it was around 15 degrees and the Baris had the valve (back in piston/rotor) days freeze in the middle of playing. Soon as enough breath moisture hit the valve it froze anywhere from totally up to totally down to partway which hurt like hades when the airflow suddenly stops. We blow like crazy into the horn to warm it up but only made us dizzy. Most of the parade you heard swearing and people calling out they had a problem.

Weird parade..... so cold the people stayed in their houses and watched out the windows. About every other block you'd hear a door open and someone yelling "PLAY SOMETHING". We ended up singing half the time.

Parade was scheduled at the start of the week lond carnival and if the weather looked bad it was rescheduled at the end. That year the parade was rescheduled because the original day had bad weather. The rescheduled day was even worse......

The Kilties performed during halftime at the Packers/Colts playoff game in Green Bay on Dec. 26, 1965.

It wasn't just their pistons and rotaries that froze.