Brass and Cold

contraBand

DISCLAIMER: I know this isn't realistically a drum corps issue, but I expect that there are quite a few people on here who would be capable of helping so I am going ahead anyway.

We had a home football game today, and as usual my college marching band did the tailgating/pep band/halftime show routine, etc. The biggest issue we faced today compared to the rest of the season was that the temperature forecast was a high of 17 degrees, with a windchill of something like 9 degrees, which resulted in a major issue for a tuba player like me- frozen valves. I taped hand warmers to my valves beforehand, and kept running air through my instrument and moving the valves as we moved to our rehearsal site, but after setting my instrument down for even one minute, all of my valves were stuck in place. This was a common problem today that resulted in two-thirds of our tuba line being completely unable to do anything, as well as multiple other wind players. In the experience of anyone and everyone here, what is a good way to keep your instrument warm enough to play effectively? Clearly the hand warmers made little difference, but I suspect there are other ways to keep your valves from freezing in place. Help?

I actually have never thought of taping hand warmers to the instrument, seems like a very smart thing to do!

As for the whole instrument, I guess the only thing to do is not set it down. Either that or leave it indoors, but not much you can do to fight mother nature :\

I actually have never thought of taping hand warmers to the instrument, seems like a very smart thing to do!

As for the whole instrument, I guess the only thing to do is not set it down. Either that or leave it indoors, but not much you can do to fight mother nature :\

It is, but only works to a certain extent... Maybe more are in order... People have also tossed around the idea of wrapping pipe insulators around the valves as well as using hand warmers, which might help a bit. Unfortunately it is simply impossible to expect to be able to constantly be putting air through the horn, and it is those times that it freezes up. Once it gets to that point, it takes a tremendous amount of effort to unstick them again, to the point that it is basically not worth it- which is unfortunate, so I am seeking other alternatives for keeping it warm...

As someone who grew up in the northeastern part of Ohio, I have had many cold, and even snowy marching band and other outdoor events. Hate to break it to ya, but you're pretty well stuck between a rock and a hard place. Its going to freeze, you're out of luck. Use a plastic mpc, keep that comfortable, and keep putting that air in there, its going to take work. Intonation? You can darn near just forget about it.

Its cold, do your best to enjoy the game!!

One of the Tuba Christmas events I did once was outside as they had been unable to get the usual space due to renovations going on, and its ended up being significantly colder than usual that day.

All the big horns were frozen solid, to much pipe for the air to go through before it hit the valves, it took a lot of work to keep them going. The Baris and Euphs carried the show that day!

Living in Canada and many a winter parade we have done we use a mix of valve oil and rubbing alcohol in each valve and have good success with this now remember this is only for the parade once over we have the instrument flushed and re oiled properly

Hope this helps caution do not inhale throught the horn lol

• Like 1

Living in Canada and many a winter parade we have done we use a mix of valve oil and rubbing alcohol in each valve and have good success with this now remember this is only for the parade once over we have the instrument flushed and re oiled properly

Hope this helps caution do not inhale throught the horn lol

This weekend is our last regular season so that shouldn't be an issue, most likely. The idea of using alcohol of some kind was brought up as well but the best we could come up with was rubbing hand sanitizer on the valves... Nobody was willing to experiment to see if that worked... Rubbing alcohol mixed into valve oil is an interesting prospect that I shall have to suggest, thank you!

DISCLAIMER: I know this isn't realistically a drum corps issue, but I expect that there are quite a few people on here who would be capable of helping so I am going ahead anyway.

We had a home football game today, and as usual my college marching band did the tailgating/pep band/halftime show routine, etc. The biggest issue we faced today compared to the rest of the season was that the temperature forecast was a high of 17 degrees, with a windchill of something like 9 degrees, which resulted in a major issue for a tuba player like me- frozen valves. I taped hand warmers to my valves beforehand, and kept running air through my instrument and moving the valves as we moved to our rehearsal site, but after setting my instrument down for even one minute, all of my valves were stuck in place. This was a common problem today that resulted in two-thirds of our tuba line being completely unable to do anything, as well as multiple other wind players. In the experience of anyone and everyone here, what is a good way to keep your instrument warm enough to play effectively? Clearly the hand warmers made little difference, but I suspect there are other ways to keep your valves from freezing in place. Help?

Bunch of the Montana State kids have been doing the hand warmers for years. Water is the enemy here. Marvel mystery oil those valves, brotha!

This weekend is our last regular season so that shouldn't be an issue, most likely. The idea of using alcohol of some kind was brought up as well but the best we could come up with was rubbing hand sanitizer on the valves... Nobody was willing to experiment to see if that worked... Rubbing alcohol mixed into valve oil is an interesting prospect that I shall have to suggest, thank you!

A couple of drops of auto antifreeze; it works.

A couple of drops of auto antifreeze; it works.

yes it will work yet it is toxic if ingested yes so is alcohol but it will not kill you