Use convertable baris and euphs

T man

I know that this is NOT currently the future of Corps/Band, but I'm going to make this my crusade to make it the future: Remove marching baritones and euphoniums from the field, and replace them with over-the-shoulder instruments similar to the Contra.

Marching baritones and marching euphoniums are destructive instruments. For people that do not know that they have scoliosis (such as I was) these instruments will create horrible LIFE-LONG ailments.

REPEAT: LIFE-LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG............................................

Its simple. For those that do not have back problems, giving them an over the shoulder instrument will make them play better and give them more energy for other strenuous activities: such as 4-to-5 jazz running.

REPEAT: OVER-THE-SHOULDER = BETTER BARIS

Baritone/euph sections are universally bad. Why is this? Because they spend their energy holding up the instrument. Duh. If you want a good Baritone/euph section, give them over the shoulder baris/euphs.

This is my crusade. I hope some people who have connections will understand how important this is.

Through this, I wish to stop at least ONE bari/euph player from experiencing the problems I started experiencing only 1 year after corps, and now experience every day of my life.

To understand how severe it is: The only cure for scoliosis is full spinal fusion surgery. This means never being able to bend above the waist, again. Ever.

So, if bari/euphs continue to stay the size/weight that they are, I urge EVERYONE who plays bari/euph to switch to lighter instruments.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I know that this is NOT currently the future of Corps/Band, but I'm going to make this my crusade to make it the future: Remove marching baritones and euphoniums from the field, and replace them with over-the-shoulder instruments similar to the Contra.

Marching baritones and marching euphoniums are destructive instruments. For people that do not know that they have scoliosis (such as I was) these instruments will create horrible LIFE-LONG ailments.

REPEAT: LIFE-LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG............................................

Its simple. For those that do not have back problems, giving them an over the shoulder instrument will make them play better and give them more energy for other strenuous activities: such as 4-to-5 jazz running.

REPEAT: OVER-THE-SHOULDER = BETTER BARIS

Baritone/euph sections are universally bad. Why is this? Because they spend their energy holding up the instrument. Duh. If you want a good Baritone/euph section, give them over the shoulder baris/euphs.

This is my crusade. I hope some people who have connections will understand how important this is.

Through this, I wish to stop at least ONE bari/euph player from experiencing the problems I started experiencing only 1 year after corps, and now experience every day of my life.

To understand how severe it is: The only cure for scoliosis is full spinal fusion surgery. This means never being able to bend above the waist, again. Ever.

So, if bari/euphs continue to stay the size/weight that they are, I urge EVERYONE who plays bari/euph to switch to lighter instruments.

Thank you.

"Over the Shoulder":

This "Shoulder Bari" idea has actually been done before, several times. in severl decades It never caught on. "WAY back in the Day" (1950's) several senior corps (The old Connecticut Yankees among them) and the USAF "DC" Bolling AFB corps were using "Shoulder Bass Baris". There are pictures of them on the USAF Drum Corps site. I "believe" Ludwig made them, but THE authority on this would be "Ironlips".

The CMCC Warriors and NY Kingsmen also used an "Updated" shoulder bari in the mid to late 1960's. The "Shoulder Bari" made another revival in the 1980's as a "Trombonium". Madison Scouts sported a few. The horns (Along with the short lived "Meeaphone") pop up from time to time on EBay.

I played a Getzen "Deluxe" GD Valve-Slde bass baritone bugle for almost eight years and have been fortunate to never have had back problems from it. And I'm a "Female"....

Elphaba

The original Holton OTS Bass-baritone:

HoltonBassBariOTS.jpg

The Whaley Royce OTS Euphonium bugle:

W-Rshouldereuph.jpg

The DEG Trombonium:

tromboniums.jpg

and from the 19th century, a Lehnert "toilet seat" Eb bass horn:

LehnertToiletSeatTuba.jpg

• Like 2

I've never heard a baritone player complaining about medical issues resulting from marching a bari or euph. (at least not until now) Personally, after the first two weeks of spring training, holding the horn up as long as any soprano player took very little effort. After about the 3rd week after move-ins I never saw a member of my section struggling to hold up their horns. I played a three valve G Dynasty, the longer type, where the first valve is farther out than the third valve in baritones today. It was a heavy horn, a good bit heavier than the tighter wrapped Bb baritones in use today.

Weight is not an issue, even with the Bb euphoniums, which are about the same weight as three valve G baritones.

For reference: I currently own a 3 valve G Dynasty, exactly like the one I marched, as well as a Dynasty 2 valve baritone, a Kanstul G euph, and a Yamaha Bb baritone.

I DO know people who have experienced injuries that were a direct result of the weight of a G contra. One friend in particular had marched a contra for 5 years and had to switch to baritone for this 6th season. I remember him saying his "shoulder bone is bent" but I'm not sure if that's medically possible. All I know is that his doctor suggested that he not use a contra.

• Like 1