Looking for a chart from the 70's

Hopefully this rings a bell with someone here.

Back in (I think) the late 70's (at least 75 or after), some junior corps did a show which incorporated the Star Spangled Banner - in the middle of the show. I was thinking it was the Argonne Rebels, but I can't find a repertoire list for them that lists them using SSB in a show (although I can't find their '77 repertoire). I used to have a recording of this chart - probably on cassette - and we all know what happened to those long ago !!!!

Anyway, this arrangement was in 3 -- started with a "fanfare" motif that started with about a measure of a tri-tom figure, then going through about a 6 to 8 measure fanfare, than ended on a fifth chord held out on a fermata --- then the traditional pickup to SSB.

Great harmonies -- lots of suspensions -- excellently written. Not like anything I'd heard before or since. I believe it may have started with the melody in low brass, and the the second 1/4 of the melody then went to the upper brass. The 3rd and 4th measures of the third 1/4 of the song ("and the rockets' red glare") started with low brass on melody, and got in a measure or two of some very strong dissonances in the upper brass - then when the song started wrapping up, it went right back to a very traditional-type arrangement - until the end, when what was normally the final note (home of the "brave") was instead a descending moving harmonic "Carillon" figure to a minor 2nd/V chord -- then a huge fortepiano on the last note (and, of course a sop went up to the fifth !!! Gotta love soprano players on G bugles......).

It's bugged me for years that I don't remember who did this, or when. I'm hoping that somebody who played this back in the day might recognize this and go, "yep, that was us in 19xx !!!".

If you recognize this, or think you know of somebody who does, please message me. Obviously, a place to find a recording would be the Grand Prize, but at this point, I just wanna know !!!

Argonne performed the Star Spangled Banner as part of its '75 show.

Well, that's sort of in line with the time frame that was rolling around in my head....

Don't suppose you have any insights into the whereabouts of a recording of that show ??

and better yet - who arranged the SSB for the corps ???? :worthy:

Anyway, this arrangement was in 3 -- started with a "fanfare" motif that started with about a measure of a tri-tom figure, then going through about a 6 to 8 measure fanfare, than ended on a fifth chord held out on a fermata --- then the traditional pickup to SSB.

Great harmonies -- lots of suspensions -- excellently written. Not like anything I'd heard before or since. I believe it may have started with the melody in low brass, and the the second 1/4 of the melody then went to the upper brass. The 3rd and 4th measures of the third 1/4 of the song ("and the rockets' red glare") started with low brass on melody, and got in a measure or two of some very strong dissonances in the upper brass - then when the song started wrapping up, it went right back to a very traditional-type arrangement - until the end, when what was normally the final note (home of the "brave") was instead a descending moving harmonic "Carillon" figure to a minor 2nd/V chord -- then a huge fortepiano on the last note (and, of course a sop went up to the fifth !!! Gotta love soprano players on G bugles......).

It's bugged me for years that I don't remember who did this, or when. I'm hoping that somebody who played this back in the day might recognize this and go, "yep, that was us in 19xx !!!".

Yep, that was the Argonne Rebels in 1975. Their arrangement matches your description.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked the Fkeetwood site, and it skips over 1975. There are recordings from 74 and 76, but no 75.

Garry in Vegas