Drum Corps & Marilyn Manson

I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I thought it is interesting and may be interesting to other drum corps geeks too.

Jason Sutter marched with Sky Ryders in the early nineties, I think. He's a product of UNT and really just an awesome percussionist. Below is an interview with him talking about getting auditions, his UNT days and drum corps experience. A YouTube video of

helped him get the gig with Manson, if you can imagine that. What a great advocate for the activity.

Part 1

Part 2

i think it's funny how many comments on the youtube video smack talk him. One even says any "Any respectable DCI top level snare drummer recognizes that this is a decent metal drummer trying to play drum corps style, and not very well." Yet if you just took 2 seconds to look him up online you'd find otherwise. Reminds me of some people on this site talking before researching.

Also, I find that we, as a community, can't appreciate technique other than what our instructors have taught us yet the guys making money doing this use technique very different than ours.

I, for one, use a VERY different set of technical fundamentals playing a 3 hour set gig than I do playing corps music.

i think it's funny how many comments on the youtube video smack talk him. One even says any "Any respectable DCI top level snare drummer recognizes that this is a decent metal drummer trying to play drum corps style, and not very well." Yet if you just took 2 seconds to look him up online you'd find otherwise. Reminds me of some people on this site talking before researching.

Also, I find that we, as a community, can't appreciate technique other than what our instructors have taught us yet the guys making money doing this use technique very different than ours.

I, for one, use a VERY different set of technical fundamentals playing a 3 hour set gig than I do playing corps music.

All very good points. Big difference between a professional set player vs. a professional snare player (not the least of which is that one exists and the other doesn't :)

The best thing about those negative comments on youtube, is that they probably WERE NOT made by someone with actual marching experience. If they had, they would quickly realize that every corps, and every drumline for that matter uses varied techniques and styles, and those are changed further on the type of music/ensemble you are playing in.