Marching Arts Day?

This is posted today on the DCI and other corps sites...

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/establish-march-4th-national-marching-arts-day/dLVPm2p6

Nice idea, but why March 4th?

Isn't that usually Pulaski Day in Chicago where they all wear red like the Irish wear green on 3/17? (Feast of St. Casimir, namesake of General Casimir Pulaski?) I know, I know...Pulaski Day is in October in NYC and in August in Buffalo. I guess not too many of those corps like the Polish Falcons from NJ and the Poughkeepsie Pacers from NYS that someone can randomly pick March fourth when anything north of the Mason Dixon line, anywhere near the Rockies, or anything less than Texas-Florida-and So. Cal. are definitely not marching.

Cute idea non the less.

This is posted today on the DCI and other corps sites...

https://petitions.wh...ts-day/dLVPm2p6

Nice idea, but why March 4th?

Isn't that usually Pulaski Day in Chicago where they all wear red like the Irish wear green on 3/17? (Feast of St. Casimir, namesake of General Casimir Pulaski?) I know, I know...Pulaski Day is in October in NYC and in August in Buffalo. I guess not too many of those corps like the Polish Falcons from NJ and the Poughkeepsie Pacers from NYS that someone can randomly pick March fourth when anything north of the Mason Dixon line, anywhere near the Rockies, or anything less than Texas-Florida-and So. Cal. are definitely not marching.

Cute idea non the less.

ummm. 3/4 = March 4th = march forth !

this is not a new meme...

but it's still a good idea !

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Doh!

Sometimes one can be too close to the trees to see the forest! My bad. Besides, it's Monday morning....

• Like 1

But, indoor does dance/ballet/kinetics rather than marching, no? Have you been to WGI or an indoor show this century? Otherwise, change it to Moving Arts Day!

That's why Marching Arts Day might be August 25 (8-2-5) or June 25th for some corps (6-2-5).

• Like 1

But, indoor does dance/ballet/kinetics rather than marching, no? Have you been to WGI or an indoor show this century? Otherwise, change it to Moving Arts Day!

That's why Marching Arts Day might be August 25 (8-2-5) or June 25th for some corps (6-2-5).

Sure have.

Marching Arts is a term that generally encompasses all those activities and doesn't specifically apply to only outdoor. That's why indoor kids say they "march" Rhythm X or "march" Pride of Cincinnati They still have "drill" -- even the guards ! And many percussion lines still have traditional marching technique in the show.

Besides, have you been to a DCI or marching band show this century? Plenty of ballet/dance/kinetics in addition to marching ph34r.gif

Even so I do appreciate the 8 to 5 and 6 to 5 dates :-)

Sure have.

Marching Arts is a term that generally encompasses all those activities and doesn't specifically apply to only outdoor. That's why indoor kids say they "march" Rhythm X or "march" Pride of Cincinnati They still have "drill" -- even the guards ! And many percussion lines still have traditional marching technique in the show.

Besides, have you been to a DCI or marching band show this century? Plenty of ballet/dance/kinetics in addition to marching ph34r.gif

Even so I do appreciate the 8 to 5 and 6 to 5 dates :-)

Sure have, even judged and instructed them, including medalists and champs, in and out. I just find the indoor more art than marching. I think there was a deliberate reason the Cadet block was chosen as the DCI photo for this morning's website.

• Like 1