Drum corps endurance study: Star of Indiana 1993

They wanted to put that thing on me originally (I played snare), but I declined. They weren't seeking a particular section.

Haha...I could totally see you doing that Clark.

As to Tim's post, he reminded me of a story Star alums had told me about years previous to my time. Apparently Bill Cook and Bob Knight had a good relationship and Coach was known to bring some of his players to practice. I seem to remember someone quoting him as saying he wished his players worked half as hard as that drum corps.

Can any of my fellow Star alums clarify that story? Mr. Boo, did you ever hear that?

As to Tim's post, he reminded me of a story Star alums had told me about years previous to my time. Apparently Bill Cook and Bob Knight had a good relationship and Coach was known to bring some of his players to practice. I seem to remember someone quoting him as saying he wished his players worked half as hard as that drum corps.

Can any of my fellow Star alums clarify that story? Mr. Boo, did you ever hear that?

Yes. It was in Sports Illustrated, August 10, 1987, Volume 67, No. 6. I'm looking at the .pdf of the article, which was on a magazine feature page titled "Scorecard." Here is a link I found of the text on the SI website.

Yes. It was in Sports Illustrated, August 10, 1987, Volume 67, No. 6. I'm looking at the .pdf of the article, which was on a magazine feature page titled "Scorecard." Here is a link I found of the text on the SI website.

You are the man Mike!!!

Mr. Knight did say that. He said that on a PBS telecast at one point. I'm not sure if he said that on the PM Magazine short though... I do believe it was quoted in a Sports Illustrated article that I remember reading at the corps hall in '89.

Edited by jjeffeory

The Sports Illustrated article was from 87'. I have the issue around hear somewhere. Coach Knight spoke to the corps on several occasions.

I am trying to picture the apparatus that would be needed to do this measuring for a brass player. Some sort of flexible mask around the mouthpiece and face with the sensors to measure intake, and a leadpipe with a bunged in O2 sensor and/or flow meter for output. Of course they couldn't put their horn down so it probably should not be a Euph or a Trumpet player (m'arms!). I would think a Mello would work. Trumpets are full of hot air anyway, and the methane production from a Tuba might interfere with results.