Snare Drummers - do you remember "The Stripe"?

I was sitting around at work and people were discussing how they got strange sunburns and it made me think of the snare drum stripe caused by the slings back in the olden days (mid-late '70's for me). I would get back to school after the summer of touring, play basketball or something and take my shirt off. People who didn't know what it was were kind of freaked out.

Talk amongst yourselves..

Here's 27th's snareline in 83. I'm left front.

27thLancers-1983SnarelineBreakTimeInMiami-LoRes.jpg

I wasn't a snare drummer, but I sure remember the tans. In my corps, in 1979 and 1980 at least, you could tell the snares by the sling marks from the right shoulder, the tenors and mallets from the T-bar marks, and the timpani and bass drummers from the crossed sling marks on their backs. The cymbal players actual got small white areas on their hands.

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Flag holsters used to leave a giant X on our backs ... combine that with our bright white feet from wearing tennies all the time ... bet that was sexy in a bathing suit huh B)

I've always loved drummers ... I just don't think I remember 'em being that young !!! Sheesh!

Young is right. I was 17, and half of us were about that age, the others were closer to 20.

I used a sling in highschool, but never in drum corps - always had a T or a V tan.

Ah yes, the carrier tans! The Yamaha vest carriers left us with half "X's on our fronts - I looked pretty strange when I went swimming, and had to answer a lot of questions about how I got the "X" on my chest.

Also, snare players, did you notice the differences in tan from your left arm to your right? I still do more than 10 years later!

Horn players would get shadow tans sometimes, but these were pretty rare. Funny, though!

Edited by jascd

We got uneven tans in Defenders when I marched traditional grip, but we played matched grip in 27th, so the tan was even, just like our rolls.

as a bass player you'd never get a tan on your front because the bass blocked most of your body. and my feet still don't tan to this day, even when i go to the beach.

as a bass player you'd never get a tan on your front because the bass blocked most of your body. and my feet still don't tan to this day, even when i go to the beach.

The sock tan! I swear, the secret "lapel pin" or ID Badge of the Drum Corps Fraternity. At the beach, I have guessed with nearly 100% accuracy which people were in corps at some point.