Any Stories?

We normally read about the same corps that have occupied the top 12 year after year. The same DC characters that everyone knows. NOW how about the corps that made up A and B class corps. Lets talk about the rise and fall of Greece Cadets, Wausau Story, Marquis. NY state was in a good position back in the 1970's, especially in A Class. Purple Lancers made top 12 and Squires were trying to crack the top 12 too. What about Gauchos, Black Knights, Imperial Regiment and Mighty Liberators? In Ohio...Caballeros. PA had Belvederes? I am sure there are stories about other people we haven't heard of yet.

There was a guy from our corps (Royal Coachmen) who worked with the horn line. He sold shoes by day too. This other guy was hired to write drill and first day of drill he comes in with nothing and starts to throw something together. We all looked at each other. After we returned from lunch break the other guy was fired and Dick Lewis, our horn guy already has the first few sets on paper. He starts to teach it. I know this was 1972 because during the lunch break I found out that I was going to be a brother again. Anyways, Dick did a great job that year for us and I also think that that was Steve Cooley's first year writing our music too. Steve was a talent that is still doing corps today and they guy doesn't age!

I would also like to add three people that were from another corps that I have much respect for...Craig and Marcia Fattey and Bob Suhina....they taught Imperial Regiment and I was always loving their music. They put together a great corps but unfortunately finances and buses were their down fall.

It's to bad that Western NY can't put together a competitive junior corps today!

Any stories out there? Remember, let's hear from the "other" corps.