07.06.13 & 07.07.13: Hawthorne Caballeros Travel to Lewisburg, PA

Chuck, I was wondering the same thing. I remember marching at that Lewisburg stadium in the 1970s.

Perhaps it's only been under this current name for the past 10 years.

This show was always the "Cavalcade of Champions," and it was sponsored by the Milton Keystoners. I recall competing there in the 1960's. It was discontinued at some point, and after a fairly long hiatus was re-started in 2003. There was no show last year due to renovations to the stadium or field. Hence, this will be the 10th Annual (rather than the 11th).

I had a flashback Saturday night at the show: Anyone who has the "Yankee Rebels" album from the 1960's, the one with the beautiful color picture of the guard members, can hear them being announced at this show on one of the tracks. The announcer had a very distinct voice and pacing and he begins his intro of the Rebels by saying, "The Keystoners welcome back to this Cavalcade -- The corps from the Chesapeake Bay -- Ladies and gentlemen, Maryland's own -- The Yankee Rebels!" I would swear that this same man was announcing the show on Saturday night, all these years later!

This show was always the "Cavalcade of Champions," and it was sponsored by the Milton Keystoners. I recall competing there in the 1960's. It was discontinued at some point, and after a fairly long hiatus was re-started in 2003. There was no show last year due to renovations to the stadium or field. Hence, this will be the 10th Annual (rather than the 11th).

I had a flashback Saturday night at the show: Anyone who has the "Yankee Rebels" album from the 1960's, the one with the beautiful color picture of the guard members, can hear them being announced at this show on one of the tracks. The announcer had a very distinct voice and pacing and he begins his intro of the Rebels by saying, "The Keystoners welcome back to this Cavalcade -- The corps from the Chesapeake Bay -- Ladies and gentlemen, Maryland's own -- The Yankee Rebels!" I would swear that this same man was announcing the show on Saturday night, all these years later!

If you would like to hear the great Sunriser soloist, Frank Diliberto, at the absolute top of his game, get your hands on a copy of this recording from the 1965 Cavalcade:

http://www.fleetwoodsounds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=270

Billy Hightower couldn't make this show, so Frank covers his "Sing, Sing, Sing" solo like it will never be heard again, as well as his own signature "Ballin' the Jack".

He played on a Getzen slip-slide G/D soprano, and no one has ever surpassed his performance that night on such a horn. The cat was positively on fire.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 4

If you would like to hear the great Sunriser soloist, Frank Diliberto, at the absolute top of his game, get your hands on a copy of this recording from the 1965 Cavalcade:

http://www.fleetwoodsounds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=270

Billy Hightower couldn't make this show, so Frank covers his "Sing, Sing, Sing" solo like it will never be heard again, as well as his own signature "Ballin' the Jack".

He played on a Getzen slip-slide G/D soprano, and no one has ever surpassed his performance that night on such a horn. The cat was positively on fire.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: