Minnesota practice sites?

Some of the places in Dinkytown you must hit up! Anne's Parlor, Al's Restaurant, etc...

Did my standing in line for the 8 seat breakfast place. Good, ok. The regulars seem to be ensconced.

In the wider area, any other suggestions for Northwood's or Scandinavian cuisine not found elsewhere?

Sunday activities after church if one doesn't drive down to DeKalb?

Edited by drilltech1

In the wider area, any other suggestions for Northwood's or Scandinavian cuisine not found elsewhere?

I'll start. These are more in the vein of nightlife (Friday? Sat pre-show? etc.) but what the heck. All in Northeast Minneapolis so not too far from the University.

Haven't been here but I hear it's good:

www.redstagsupperclub.com

Fun place on the river; nice outdoor bar(more tiki bar than northwoods):

www.psychosuzis.com

Some of the local craft brewers have tap rooms. Closed Sundays, unfortunately:

www.fultonbeer.com

www.612brew.com

www.dangerousmanbrewing.com

Northeast Minneapolis is nearby the U of M campus and has a lot of great bars and "peasant food"-type restaurants of just about every ethnic origin. A lot of these places are small, but I've never really been disappointed. The Sample Room has a stellar menu, cozy atmosphere, and it's right along the Mississippi:

http://www.vita.mn/food-drink/171370711.html

If you're in downtown Minneapolis, there's some really nice, authentic pubs. My favorites are Brit's and The Local (which is right next to a good Tequila bar called Barrio ... if you want to change things up):

http://www.britspub.com/

http://www.the-local.com/

As for Scandinavian cuisine, it's surprisingly pretty sparse. Lots of bakeries, but hardly any restaurants. Don't get me wrong, the Twin Cities food scene is great (not Chicago-great, but it's on the right track). That said, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about The Bachelor Farmer. The NYT did a good write-up on them:

http://thebachelorfarmer.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dining/twin-cities-embrace-their-nordic-food-heritage.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Lutefisk? No ...thank you.

There always was lutefisk at Grandma Boo's family Christmas gathering. The smell haunts me to this day. Think corps socks that haven't been washed all tour, combined with Brasso cymbal polish and Eau de Musty Contra.

Quote from Garrison Keillor's book Lake Wobegon Days:

"Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I'd be told, 'Just have a little.' Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot."

Quote from Garrison Keillor's book Pontoon:

"Lutefisk is cod that has been dried in a lye solution. It looks like the desiccated cadavers of squirrels run over by trucks, but after it is soaked and reconstituted and the lye is washed out and it's cooked, it looks more fish-related, though with lutefisk, the window of success is small. It can be tasty, but the statistics aren't on your side. It is the hereditary delicacy of Swedes and Norwegians who serve it around the holidays, in memory of their ancestors, who ate it because they were poor. Most lutefisk is not edible by normal people. It is reminiscent of the afterbirth of a dog or the world's largest chunk of phlegm."

Interview with Jeffrey Steingarten, author of The Man Who Ate Everything (translated quote from a 1999 article in Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet):

"Lutefisk is not food, it is a weapon of mass destruction. It is currently the only exception for the man who ate everything. Otherwise, I am fairly liberal, I gladly eat worms and insects, but I draw the line on lutefisk."

What is special with lutefisk?

"Lutefisk is the Norwegians' attempt at conquering the world. When they discovered that Viking raids didn't give world supremacy, they invented a meal so terrifying, so cruel, that they could scare people to become one's subordinates. And if I'm not terribly wrong, you will be able to do it as well."

But some people say that they like lutefisk. Do you think they tell the truth?

"I do not know. Of all food, lutefisk is the only one that I don't take any stand on. I simply cannot decide whether it is nice or disgusting, if the taste is interesting or commonplace. The only thing I know, is that I like bacon, mustard and lefse. Lutefisk is an example of food that almost doesn't taste like anything, but is so full of emotions that the taste buds get knocked out."

The Ole and Lena joke books make frequent references to lutefisk; for example, the punch line of one joke is: "Well, we tried the lutefisk trick and the raccoons went away, but now we've got a family of Norwegians living under our house!"

"When Lutefisk is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Lutefisk!" - A bumper sticker seen around Seattle in the 1980s, parodying the gun-rights slogan of the era.

The negative view of lutefisk exemplified in these jokes may have led Ulf Gunnarsson to write his parody Lutefisk and Yams. This take-off starts out in trochaic hexameter: "Hark and ware oh warrior, weird of Sven now hear you". The initial section uses alliteration instead of rhyme, like much Old English heroic poetry (e.g., Beowulf): "Finally pounds of pancakes paired with lingonberries." Then it switches to iambic tetrameter as it imitates Dr. Seuss: "I do not like lutefisk and yams/I do not like them Sven-I-Am".

The Wisconsin Employees' Right to Know Law specifically exempts lutefisk in defining "toxic substances".

"Revenge of the Lutefisk", an episode of the animated series King of the Hill, uses the dish as a key plot device. When a new Methodist minister arrives in town from Minnesota, she brings some lutefisk to a potluck welcome dinner. Bobby Hill steals and eats the entire batch, enjoying the taste despite its strong smell, and inadvertently sets in motion a chain of events that leads to the church being burned down.

Hmm. I may never again have to apologize for Irish cooking past the breakfast hour.

As my chauffeur for my Minnesota stay is a fine Scandinavian of Norwegian descent, I am loathe to comment about the above reviews although I thank those who have made suggestions for my best dining views of St. Anthony's Falls. (The Nicolet Inn on the isle is nice from my previous visit but I just hate sharing the limelight with all those blushing brides and engaged couples dazzling us with the diamonds in the sunlight.) Besides, I hear Boo's grandmother makes Frumasarah seem like a cherub!

Edited by drilltech1