Front Ensemble Audition

DrumManTx

So I'm set financially for my hopeful first season this coming year. I've done the following things thus far:

1. I have a great attitude/passion to make it.
  2. I have been, am, and will continue to drill scales and triads like nothing else, as well as in your stereotypical exercises.
  3. I have a solo piece picked out just in case, but to work on technique as well.

Any other things I should be doing? I have a few friends that have done corps front ensemble before, so I'm getting tips from them when they get back to college after summer.

Looking at Troopers right now, if that helps with specifics I need to drill. Feel free to message me any other secrets that you don't want to share with the world! Thanks in advance, I will appreciate whatever you can provide this rookie hopeful with! :thumbup:

Edited by DrumManTx

-Work on your timing with a met. The front ensemble is not exempt from perfect time and there always seems to be one person who hasn't learned that who shows up to audition.

-Make sure you are not just practicing scales, but also ways to move through them - chromatic, circle of fifths, circle of fourths. Also, learn your modes.

-If there is a packet, know it backwards and forwards. Have your technique set as close to the description as possible, but still be prepared to make changes on the fly.

-Finally, this is important, if you don't get offered the instrument you want to march, march anyway. You'll learn more playing glockenspiel or synth than you will playing video games all summer, and you'll be much closer to that marimba or vibe spot next year.

Good luck!!

-Work on your timing with a met. The front ensemble is not exempt from perfect time and there always seems to be one person who hasn't learned that who shows up to audition.

I always practice with a met.

-Make sure you are not just practicing scales, but also ways to move through them - chromatic, circle of fifths, circle of fourths. Also, learn your modes.

I've done chromatic and circle of fifths. Will definetely start on modes and circle of fourths.

-If there is a packet, know it backwards and forwards. Have your technique set as close to the description as possible, but still be prepared to make changes on the fly.

I have a packet, but it's not for who I'm auditioning for. Maybe just work on the exercises to build my chops?

-Finally, this is important, if you don't get offered the instrument you want to march, march anyway. You'll learn more playing glockenspiel or synth than you will playing video games all summer, and you'll be much closer to that marimba or vibe spot next year.

Psh, I could care less what I'm playing. I'm not picky and will gladly take whatever is offered to me!

Good luck!!

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Edited by DrumManTx

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on a lot of what you'll need. One further thing I will mention.

Hang out. A lot of people forget that the staff isn't just choosing based on talent. Most world class ensembles get plenty of that. They also have to keep in mind that they are choosing people to spend all day together every day for months. Showing that you can get along and make friends there will do a lot to put those concerns to rest.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on a lot of what you'll need. One further thing I will mention.

Hang out. A lot of people forget that the staff isn't just choosing based on talent. Most world class ensembles get plenty of that. They also have to keep in mind that they are choosing people to spend all day together every day for months. Showing that you can get along and make friends there will do a lot to put those concerns to rest.

I like to think I am a pretty likeable and funny guy. :smile: I will make sure to do this as well. Considering there are VERY few drum corps fans/vets in the region of Texas I live in besides the ones that are on tour this summer or at home over the summer on break from the college I go to, it will be nice to be around a butt load of people that I can actually talk to corps about.