Spirit of Atlanta 2013

The show is nice, but out of balance. The Mancini number is given room to develop, fully, but the Sweet Georgia Brown and Gershwin iterations are barely more than a few identifiable phrases from each piece, and never get a chance to breathe on their own. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the Mancini is the least musically complex piece to begin with - so we're spending MORE musical time developing the least complex piece, and running roughshod over the rest.

The show is accessible, and very pleasant. But there's not much to talk about afterwards except "that was cute" (verbatim, from a first-time audience member seated next to me). Not that there's anything wrong with cute, but it's not going to be knocking on the top tier's door.

Well you know what they say about opinions? :thumbup:

Apparently, per a parent, many of them have a stomach bug (at least one was being taken to the Dr.), there was an article posted in USA today discussing it. Also noted that it is spreading through other corps as well...hope it's only a 24hr thing.

Bad information. I've spent the last two days with SOA, there is no stomach problem with the corps.

• Like 1

Interestingly, at San Antonio show, several of the SoA's hornline described their show to me as "cute."

Regarding their sickness in the past week, does all that hugging and kissing of family and friends from home and other corps which so often happens at Regionals like San Antonio, now get blacklisted as a viral agent???

I seriously doubt this is true. These kids love the show and love what they are doing.

Edited by dmullen
  • Like 3

The show is nice, but out of balance. The Mancini number is given room to develop, fully, but the Sweet Georgia Brown and Gershwin iterations are barely more than a few identifiable phrases from each piece, and never get a chance to breathe on their own. This wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that the Mancini is the least musically complex piece to begin with - so we're spending MORE musical time developing the least complex piece, and running roughshod over the rest.

The show is accessible, and very pleasant. But there's not much to talk about afterwards except "that was cute" (verbatim, from a first-time audience member seated next to me). Not that there's anything wrong with cute, but it's not going to be knocking on the top tier's door.

Hey...that's the way of the world these days. Corps rarely develop a musical theme anymore...it's a few bars, broken up, with drum breaks throughout. As far as I'm concerned, we can all thank BD for that, as their shows have been designed that way for the last few years. The only corps out of the 6 that I watched last night in Opelika that performed full tunes without all these hits and breaks was Pioneer...and they don't exactly burn up the competition. I liked them and was proud of their show...but music just doesn't get much credit these days.

And about being "cute"...I'll take "cute" any day, instead of "what the hell was that?"...

• Like 1

I seriously doubt this is true. These kids love the show and love what they are doing.

Sir, I dislike publicly being called a liar. I have five witnesses to the conversation: a staffer of Madison Scouts, two MM members of Carolina Crown, a parent, and another fan.

What I said does not negate the kids liking their show. But one of your hornplayers said it was a little too cute for his liking. Deal with it.

• Like 2

Bad information. I've spent the last two days with SOA, there is no stomach problem with the corps.

Happy to hear that....I did see a FB post stating the same thing. They had a great show last night, and happy to see the 4th tenor back on the field!

Sir, I dislike publicly being called a liar. I have five witnesses to the conversation: a staffer of Madison Scouts, two MM members of Carolina Crown, a parent, and another fan.

What I said does not negate the kids liking their show. But one of your hornplayers said it was a little too cute for his liking. Deal with it.

So we have moved from "several of the SoA's hornline" to "one of your hornplayers said..." See my point? I have no problem dealing with any comments on this forum. Everyone has an opinion and has their favorites. I just want to keep incorrect information and/or what I perceive as negative comments in check. I did not intentionally mean to suggest you were lying and I sincerely apologize if it came out that way.

• Like 1

I'm not great at reviews, but I'll post my brief thoughts from the San Antonio regional...

• Hornline sounded good, and was well balanced but nothing that really pinned me to the back of my seat.

After watching video from Opelika, I take that comment back. I'd take it back more if I could. There's a lot of power in that hornline, and they handle it well.

Spirit is getting a good amount of love currently in the What is Your Favorite Show thread. If you enjoy seeing Spirit of Atlanta on the field each year, consider participating in their current "Race to Indy" fund drive at www.spiritdrumcorps.org.

Edited by DeepSouthDCI