San Antonio Full Show (LONG)

I am a novice when it comes to drum corps. I've only been aware of its existence for 4 years and this was only my second live show (last year's SW Champs being my first). Thus, my reviews are going to center less on the technical and caption-to-caption aspect and more on how each individual show struck me. Please be nice. When I get to a part in the show that I found particularly stirring, I'll mark it with a (*!*).

I am also a fan of all corps to one degree or another--I have many favorites. Thus I hope my reviews are unbiased.

Another thing: a friend and I got some of the worst seats in the house, right on the end zone, so my perspective of the drills and music may be askew.

Revolution

Score: 74.75

My rank: 23 (open)

Revolution has more than doubled in size since last year, and their new uniforms are immediately reminiscent (some would say "stolen") of the Glassmen. I haven’t seen any other Div II corps, so I am (perhaps unfairly) comparing them to the Div I corps later in the day. The music and drill are harder than last year's, and while it is well performed, the music (Connotations) didn't grab me. The strongest section for Revolution is definitely the percussion. Being from Texas myself I am biased towards them, so I hope to see them pull it off this year.

Madison Scouts

I'll review them with the evening performance.

Southwind

Score: 71.35

My rank: 21 (open)

I honestly don't remember much about them except they were enjoyable; I was still high off of Madison's performance. I do remember that I liked the drill and music (Gayenah Ballet) well enough.

Kiwanis Kavaliers

Score: 72.90

My rank: 20 (open)

This was a fun, interesting show (based on The Beatles' music). I especially liked the haunting-yet-upbeat version of Eleanor Rigby (*!*). The entire program revolved around the theme of a woman going into the world and finding love. It includes a scene where the brass courts the guard followed a jazzy, seductive dance by the guard. While I thought Southwind performed better, Kiwanis was more entertaining and memorable to me.

Blue Knights

Reviewed with evening.

Pioneer

Score: 67.75

My rank: 22 (open)

First off is uniforms: I really liked their new look. A red sash across the chest made them look vaguely like the Madison Scouts of old, and the military-style hats gave them a crisp, martial air. With a traditionally Irish look on things, they warmed up with Danny Boy (*!*). However, the show (Holsinger’s Easter Symphony) itself was rather flat, IMHO. While the material is performed well, nothing stood out to me.

Colts

Score: 76.75

My rank: 16 (open)

I liked the Colts show this year. Unfortunately I don’t remember much about it. It starts out moodily with Cantus Laetus. Unfortunately I can’t remember the rest of the show except for Blue Sapphire, which was my favorite part.

Troopers

Score: 70.70

My rank: 17 (Open)

Here was a sleeper hit for me. I didn’t really care for last year’s show, but they have found some new life this season. Opening with the traditional circle formation, they started with The Great Train Race. The pit and battery made the opening locomotive sound (ka-WOOOSH ka-WOOOSH ka-WOOOSH) (*!!*). The ballad was very touching, and I found the drill engaging. Over all, I thought they deserved better than they got.

Carolina Crown

Reviewed with evening

Capital Regiment

Score: 73.50

My rank: 19 (open)

I was looking forward to seeing them live for the first time ever. I enjoyed their 2001 show and they did well last year, so I was expecting good things. They opened well with an amalgamation of New World Symphony (one of my favorite orchestral works) (*!!*). This served as an anchor point during the various sections of the show, including Mvt. 2 as a ballad (*!!*). However, I found the rest of the show rather flat.

Madarins

Score: 74.70

My Rank: 18 (open)

I have never seen them before and am only vaguly familiar with past shows, but I’d heard good things about this year. This year’s program, entitled Black Market Bazaar, prompted my friend to quip “Where one can buy the finest crystal meth and paired organs.” All in all it was a very well designed show, and Bacchanale was absolutely a blast (*!!*)-definitely the high point of the show.

Spirit

Score: 81.65

My Rank: 10 (open)

Spirit got ripped off, IMHO. They had one of the best implemented concepts (Time) of the day, opening with Auld Lang Syne. The drill is fraught with temporal designs, such as a clock (a la Cadets 2000) and an hour glass with guard as the sand. During October (which took the Glassmen’s to town IMO) the guard ran flags with “Seems” “Like” “Only” “Yesterday” and prints of revered corps of yesteryear (Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, didn’t catch the others) (*!!!*). Next was Nutville, one of my favorite jazz tunes (*!!*). I thought it was an awesome show, and had them placed behind Madison and Crossmen for the afternoon. * sigh *

Magic of Orlando

Score: 81.70

My Rank: 13 (open)

I was expecting big things from Magic after their Finals finish last year. They opened with the entire brass line tinkling bells and the guard flashing the audience with mirrors (*!*). However, when the playing started they weren’t as loud as some earlier corps had been. They could get soft, which is an accomplishment in its own. Abram’s Pursuit could have had more energy, IMO, and I disliked the watered down ending of it. While the drill was good, I kept waiting in vain for them to put out some sound.

Seattle Cascades

Score: 78.10

My Rank: 15 (open)

After Magic, the Cascades came in and filled the ‘Dome with sound-very loud. Unfortunately, I found the drill to be somewhat lacking. It was mundane from my perspective, and seemed to center too much on big, open spaces. Salon de Mexico was nice, but all in all the show left me rather flat.

Crossmen

Reviewed with evening.

EVENING SHOW

Glassmen

Score: 78.45

My Rank: 14 (open)

Like the Cascades, the Glassmen had problems holding my attention. I found the drill a tad boring and the playing uninspired. The only portion of their concept (Elements) that was implemented logically IMO was Fire, with the percussion slapping boards together for the pops and crackles of fire and the brass doing a staggered sit down/get up which I assumed represented flames. While I enjoyed this show more than others in the past, I think they will have to work to break Finals.

Carolina Crown

Score: 80.10 (night)

My Rank: 11 (open)

I loved Crown’s show this year. It is an original concept—Bell-isimo!—IMO. The new uni’s do look good on the field, by the way. The opener, from La Fiesta Mexicana, is very powerful *!!*. My favorite part of the show came with the ballad. The brass is arrayed in an arc that is formed in layers of musicians hitting the set gradually. The last layer approaches the arc just as the ballad builds to a resolution point, and them, BAM it all comes together (*!!*). Even better, the song continued to build, and when it released, the ‘Dome was filled with a glorious resonance that rivaled any I’ve heard from a wind symphony (*!!!!*). Finally, the closer (Carol of the Bells, on steroids), while unusual, works very well (*!!*).

Bluecoats

Score: 83.15

My Rank: 6 (open)

This year the ‘Coats implemented their concept, Capture and Escape, very well.. The music, drill, and guard all utilize the theme. I was completely enthralled by the performance as the guard and brass played a game of cat-and-mouse the entire time, with one section to gain the upper hand only to lose it to an ambush from the other. The most entertaining I’ve ever seen the Bluecoats, IMHO.

Crossmen

Score: 82.00

My Rank: 9 (open)

This show, Color, is obviously meant to be a crowd-pleaser, and was my friend’s favorite of the night. The brass start along the back sideline and slowly begin to make their way to the front while the guard pulls different colored silks from under their (the brass’) uniforms. As the corps makes its way to the front, they hit into “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and the guard (standing in front of the brass) stretches said silks out for a rainbow effect (*!*). Before the closer, the battery begins pushing cymbal frames from the back to the front and then pounds out “Count Bubba” on them. The ending, with the entire corps en masse on the sideline blasting the final note into the audience, practically begs for a Standing O (*!!*). On a side note, the guard made about four discreet costume changes.

Madison Scouts

Score: 82.15 (night)

My Rank: 7 (open)

Ah, Madison! Last year I came to the afternoon show in SA just to hear them, and was let down. I was thrilled to see them back up this year. The show starts with the brass lined up on about the 30 yd line (the wrong side of the field for my goal-line seats). Then the battery strikes up a blood-boiling cadence and the brass pounds towards the 50. When they hit it, they fold out (NOT Boston-style) into a box and practically shout the first note (*!!*). While the rest of the show didn’t have quite the charm of the Madion of old, it was definitely a step in the right direction. The ballad was a highlight, with the brass playing a melancholy tune and the guard swinging tattered, thread-bare silks with past years on them. The brass then breaks into a more jubilant song and a lone flag appears with “2003” in bold letters across it (*!!*). Several fleur de lis’ could be seen throughout as well. A good show; keep up the good work!

Blue Knights

Score: 79.00 (night)

My Rank: 12 (open)

I don’t recall much about the Blue Knights’ show. It is entertaining and well-designed, though. The biggest things I remember are the pastel guard uniforms and a portion where the brass are following the leader while leaping like gazelle. I really hope to see them in the Finals.

Boston Crusaders

Score: 83.00

My rank: 8 (open)

I didn’t think this year’s show, Bravo, was as powerful as 2000’s (on which this is obviously modeled) or as charming as last year’s show. That being said, it is an entertaining and well-performed show. It starts out with Bolero, but this arrangement is shorter and much more aggressive than 2000’s (*!!*). After a short pit build the brass jumps right in and blares the climax in a diamond surrounding the guard. Malaguena is likewise short, so short in fact that it is no more than suggested (*!*). The drill is again a whirl of kaleidoscopic imagery (which I find appealing). There is even the classic “lines meeting fold out into box” I’ve come to expect from them (*!!*).

Phantom Regiment

Score: 88.05

My Rank: 3 (open)

I can sum this show up in one word: WOW. When their repertoire was announced, I was initially a bit skeptical. Of course, my misgivings were completely unfounded. Canon my seem a strange opener, but Phantom pulls it off with great style. I don’t remember their “white” period, but the uniforms do look good on the field. The highlight of the show comes with the Lord’s Prayer, which starts soft and slowly builds to a stunning climax that absolutely fills the stadium before completing (*!!!!!*). I was aflame with tingles before it was over. The show was the cleanest I’d seen all day, and was one of the best.

The Cavaliers

Score: 91.10

My Rank: 1 (Open)

The reviews I’d read of Spin Cycle were mixed. However, I loved it. The music wasn’t as boring to me as some had said, and the drill is incredible. To be sure, last year’s drill was incredible also, but this one is on a completely different plane…instead of jaw-dropping, lookit what they did, in this one the little things really add up. The subtleties of the design and choreography are amazing to watch, and it fits the music during most parts. The show starts off with corps and guard in two perpendicular lines: -|-. As the music begins very faintly, the inner part of the intersection begins to spin.

The music builds, and so does the spin until the first big hit when everything comes together (*!!!!*). There is, of course, a section that is intended to be a follow-up to last year’s Fight Club. The brass is sitting in a box formation with a lone bari (very low mello?) standing. He spits out a small riff, and sits. A trumpt spins up, repeats it. Soon many musicians are twirling up, some playing variations of the riff, some not. The battery comes gliding through, and soon everything is spinning, spinning, into a box (*!!!*)

The ending admittedly needs some help. It works, after a fashion; the entire momentum of the show stops—spins itself out—and the brass halts in an arc except for two lone members cycling and trading places (*!!*). The rumored changes I’ve heard of (reversing the opening sets) would be much better, IMO. I saw the show at the clinic from a much different perspective (front row, 45 yd line) and the energy coming off the field was almost palpable. My throat literally choked up (*!!!!!*). Yeah, I’m a Cavies fan. Despite everything the Cavies had going, though, the Blue Devils came very close in my book. More on that later.

The Cadets

Score: 88.05

My Rank: 5

Ok, I had cards stacked against this show because it was a tribute to shows that I’ve never seen. To a long-time fan it may be great to see the nostalgia, but all the material was fresh to me. That said, it was still interesting to see things such as the fabled Z-pull. Malaguena was certainly the apex of the show, and it kicks. There are several different versions before the final park-and-blow, which is stunning (*!!!*). As the show comes to a close, there are a few ponderous strains of “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music—my favorite part (*!!!*). In all, I liked last year’s show (yes, last year’s) better, but I always appreciate the Cadets’ creativity of drill and alacrity of marching technique (bounce, bounce, bounce…).

The Blue Devils

Score: 90.50

My Rank: 2

Back in the winter, when the reps were announced, the Devils show this year sounded…well, cool. And it is. I thought there were more “Gee, whiz” moments here than anywhere else. The action and music is almost schizophrenic and very high paced. One segment of Blue Rondo has the battery scrambling to and fro in a tight formation at insane speeds (unfortunately, this is where a tenor wiped out). Of the “drum talk” segment, there could’ve been more. If nothing else, the stretches need to be longer and better spaced. It’s still cool. And my half a cent from a design standpoint: there’s a part where the corps comes together and hits a box as Sketches of Spain builds to a crecendo. An instant after the release, the corps dips into a pose and whispers “Shah!” That should be the end of the drum talk segment. It’s the pinnacle.

Unfortunately, as the corps was readying for the big finale, a grand summary of cool musical quotes, another tenor hit the ground. His harness broke and he spent the remainder of the show walking to the ending set and trying to keep his drums together. And my attention never left him; I didn’t catch the closing drill and only listened with half an ear. Not that I’m blaming him. Indeed, I believe Forrest Gump had a fitting quote here…

The Devils have a kicking show that I think would have won the night if not for the falls. In summary, I think it’s only a matter of time before they take the Cavies (maybe not for good, though).

Santa Clara Vanguard

Score: 87.20

My Rank: 4

This show reminded me of ‘99s. It starts with brass and percussion lined on both end zones (at last, a good look at a corps!) with the guard connecting them. As Orawa starts up the two groups start winding their way towards each other. One side will play a snippet, and the other will echo—a very cool stereo effect. The complexity of the show is marvelous—I was entranced.

I was so captivated watching individual units that I didn’t pay close attention to the entire show, so I can only recall snippits: One Man Show’s music turning suddenly from the playful to the profound, the rings that form later in the ballad…I have a theory about those circles. It’s far-fetched and laughable, I know. Initially there are five small rings, which I think represent SCV’s championship years from 1974-1999. Then those rings fold out into two interlaced large ones, which to me symbolize 1973’s win, and, 30 years later…a 2003 win? Just a thought. Over all, I thought it was an immense show that, if cleaned, could make a run for the title.

FINALE AND ENCORE

What can I say? I didn’t stay long last year, so I got to witness for the first time the grand spectacle that is retreat. The Devils’ drumline marched them on. As the drum majors filed out, I noticed Madison’s DM gliding with a cool, deadly grace. That had an impact on me. After scores were announced and the tie was booed, the Cavies gave an encore. My friend and I moved down about 5 sections right next to the press box so we were almost on the 50. I noticed the two DM’s in the stands and another caped figure in a black Cavie uniform standing next to the guard. His arms were crossed under the cape and his face was shadowed by the hat. I thought the Cavaliers only had 2 DM’s…was that Jeff Fiedler? In any case, we stayed until the end of Spin Cycle and left as they played Stars and Stripes Forever. Then came a harrowing 3-hour drive home fraught with deer, wrong turns, and hopped up truckers…but that’s another story.

Official Rankings:

Afternoon

DIVISION I

1 Madison Scouts 84.45

2 Crossmen 83.15

3 Carolina Crown 83.00

4 Blue Knights 82.20

5 Magic of Orlando 81.70

6 Spirit from JSU 81.65

7 Seattle Cascades 78.10

8 Colts 76.75

9 Mandarins 74.70

10 Capital Regiment 73.50

11 Kiwanis Kavaliers 72.90

12 Southwind 71.35

13 Troopers 70.70

14 Pioneer 67.75

DIVISION II

1 Revolution 74.75

Evening

1 The Cavaliers 91.10

2 Blue Devils 90.50

3 The Cadets 88.05

3 Phantom Regiment 88.05

5 Santa Clara Vanguard 87.20

6 Bluecoats 83.15

7 Boston Crusaders 83.00

8 Madison Scouts 82.15

9 Crossmen 82.00

10 Carolina Crown 80.10

11 Blue Knights 79.00

12 Glassmen 78.45

My Ranking (open)

1 The Cavliers

2 Blue Devils

3 Phantom Regiment

4 Santa Clara Vanguard

5 The Cadets

6 Bluecoats

7 Madison Scouts

8 Boston Crusaders

9 Crossmen

10 Spirit

11 Carolina Crown

12 Blue Knights

13 Magic of Orlando

14 Glassmen

15 Seattle Cascades

16 Colts

17 Troopers

18 Mandarins

19 Capital Regiment

20 Southwind

21 Kiwanis Kavaliers

22 Pioneer

23 Revolution

Edited by Laconic913

A very nice review. Great insights & made me feel like I was back at the show again.

Thanks!

Harvey Phelps