Streamers and FN'ers, check out Chromecast

It wirelessly streams things from your devices (laptop, tablets, phones, etc), so no computer hookup to the TV required.

Aside from the few things it supports natively at the moment (netflix/etc), you can stream the content of a chrome browser tab, so for the FN you bring it up on your computer in Chrome then that can be streamed to the Chromecast.

Ah, the light dawns. Thanks. That's an HDMI connection; I thought it was USB.

An important point; if the reviewer is correct, this device streams from your router directly, not via your iPhone. This is important because that would double the wireless network load, which would be bad. I get this from the first reviewer and also from the part of the product description that says you connect it to WIFI, (and doesn't mention connecting it to your phone). If so that's very good.

Key question though; does the wireless device still show the video? If so you're double streaming anyway.

$35? The cheapest they are from an amazon-affilitated supplier is over 80, and most are close to 100. Is this 2013's Wii? :shutup:

Other than being wireless... How is this different than me hardwiring my laptop into my TV using an HDMI cord? Is the quality going to be that much better?

No, it will be worse than this. But for folks without an HDMI out on their computer or who don't want to mess with the cable, it's a nice little device.

Ah, the light dawns. Thanks. That's an HDMI connection; I thought it was USB.

An important point; if the reviewer is correct, this device streams from your router directly, not via your iPhone. This is important because that would double the wireless network load, which would be bad. I get this from the first reviewer and also from the part of the product description that says you connect it to WIFI, (and doesn't mention connecting it to your phone). If so that's very good.

Key question though; does the wireless device still show the video? If so you're double streaming anyway.

For certain things the little device knows about (YouTube, Netflix) I think the stream just goes straight to the device, ie, no double-travel on the wifi network. Not sure about h.264 video from a different source (in this case, DCI Fan Network). If it does understand any h.264 stream, then the mobile livestreams that work with iPad should work with this thing just fine and again not cause the double-trip over your wifi.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this, but I have an update.

I emailed back and forth with a guy at Brightcove who said:

1. They are not currently planning to incorporate Chromecast.

2. Stay tuned, because the idea is "actively being evaluated." (This came from a second email, allowing me to imagine that I had given them the idea.)

3. If publishers (i.e. DCI) want to integrate it themselves using the Google API, they should be able to do that but no guarantees, of course. There are also no guarantees that it will still work, say after a Brightcove software update.

Bought my Chromecast last week, $35 at Best Buy plus tax.....had a few install gliches, loaded on a windows 8 Laptop, but once I relize you have to download the chromecast app in chrome everything worked like a charm, only down side is on FN the sound is really low have to turn it up to 65+, other stuff I pushed thru volume wasn't a problem,

Edited by blueorginal