For all you tuba/contra players...

ContraMan

Ok, so I got this mouthpiece made by a gentleman named Mike Finn. And after 4 or 5 hours of practice, I'm sold on it. I've been playing on the Schilke 66 and Schilke Helleberg for a while and just felt that even after all the work I've done I just wasn't getting the darkness I've been wanting.

I had never used a heavyweight mouthpiece so this was to be an exceptional treat. I got the chance to buzz on one for about 15 mins and thought, I really need to invest in one of these. I purchased one and then played it on my own horn and found even better results the more I worked with it. A darker sound and much richer lower register. The higher dynamic ranges were able to be reached without needing to hold back so much. My loudest was louder because the sound wasn't breaking up. Transition between notes became much smoother and slurs just felt easier on this monstrosity.

After using the Schilke mouthpieces, the rim transition wasn't very difficult at all. Of course Schilke's rims aren't exactly like a Conn Helleberg 7B. Very comfortable rim and I didn't feel fatigue even after that seemingly long practice (after a few days off of playing).

The deep "soft" funnel as someone else I've spoken to has said, is pretty big and yes, more air is needed to keep better sound production. There is also a lot less resistance than I'm used to. At least a few times in the beginning (shoulda done my breathing exercises) I got a little lightheaded, but that soon passed.

So, I'm going to continue working with it, although I AM completely sold on it. I

look forward to even more fascinating results in the future.

For a look at the mouthpieces, click here.

Edited by ContraMan

• 1 month later...

I've started using a heavy mouthpiece as well. Last April or so I got a PT-36. I used it on my junior recital, the last band and orchestra concerts (it was very handy on Symphonic Metamorphosis ^0^) and I used it all season. It's a great mouthpiece, and I think it did help darken up my tone. I was using an Arnold Jacobs mouthpiece, and I was feeling like I'd kind of "outgrown" it, at least as a large ensemble mouthpiece. The tone I had was too direct, not broad enough, despite my best efforts to make it otherwise. The mouthpiece made a considerable difference.

To all young impressionable types, however, I will say this: I'm not saying, go out and buy a heavy mouthpiece right now. I bought one because I found that I needed it to fit my playing. Keep on with what you're using, and as you get more experienced you will be able to better identify what you need in the mouthpiece realm. Also talk with your teacher about it as well before buying; it can be quite an expense sometimes, and you don't want to buy something you later regret.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually they're not as similar to Hellebergs as you think. The funnel shape is fairly similar but the rim is more like a Bach style mouthpiece (which I admit, I don't like Bach style rims, but this one works excellently with me). The cup diameter is bigger than a Conn Helleberg by about half a millimeter (a difference). The throat I think is also more open. The added weight makes for dampening overtones so the fundamental is more present.

After speaking with the designer, he's preparing a more Helleberg-style rim he's calling the MF-3H and a more bowl shaped cup mouthpiece called the MF-3B. Drop him a line. His email is on the website. Mike Finn Mouthpieces