Between Sidelines and Stands

What's the deal with dealing with the unused space 'twixt corps and fan? That no player zone between the pit and the front wall.

Imagine amazing drill and general corps goodness oozing right up to that wall. (You know, right where the wheelchair folks are. tongue.gif) Move the judges table to the pressbox, or wherever.

Let the corps put the pit wherever they want. Let them "explore the space" as the great producer Bruce Dickinson used to say. Just give them the measurements of each venue before the season starts and let them adapt.

• Like 2

And just how many stadiums have the same size area between the sideline and the "wall" ?

Nice thought not fully thought out. :doh:

• Like 4

And just how many stadiums have the same size area between the sideline and the "wall" ?

Nice thought not fully thought out. doh.gif

As I said, give the corps the measurements at all the stadiums and let them adapt to each show on their own. If DCI prefers they can find the venue with the smallest distance and set that as the front limit. Still a lot closer than the current limit.

• Like 1

Some venues have tracks and some have fences. To be really effective, corps would have to be able to plan to do such a thing at every show...not just those with areas that can be explored, IMHO. Otherwise, it would involve more than just adjusting for each venue. And heaven forbid if the stadium crew misinterpret when is wanted in terms of measurements and corps end up straddling chain link fences. :tongue:

Some venues have tracks and some have fences. To be really effective, corps would have to be able to plan to do such a thing at every show...not just those with areas that can be explored, IMHO. Otherwise, it would involve more than just adjusting for each venue. And heaven forbid if the stadium crew misinterpret when is wanted in terms of measurements and corps end up straddling chain link fences. tongue.gif

Well, I suppose DCI would have to do their own measurements the year before implementation.

I wouldn't think tracks (as in running tracks?) would be an insurmountable problem.

Fences? The question would be: What is the closest distance between the fencing and the sideline? For the first year at least, the rule could be based on that distance.

But I think there are few enough sites with fences set close to the sideline that a combination of changing venues and corps improving ability to adapt to unusual sites would solve the problem.

Most shows seem to be at small venues where the altitude is not much. Giving the fans a much better viewing angle on the drill would help. Intimacy, music volume, and drill view would all be improved.

This has been tried in the earlier TOC possibilities and it proved unworkable.

Track areas are sacred at some stadiums and are no go zones as part of the contracts at these schools/fields.

Electric outlets for the pit and the wiring to such are often within this area and would become not only a nuisance but a safety concern for performers and judges if broached.

In the large stadia used for the regionals, there have already been complaints that the upper deck viewers and back row audience is unable to see some pit performers due to the pitch of the stadium architechure, immoveable.

However, you do get credit for the thread title; nice alliteration. (Does that go on the GE or Analysis sheet?):smile:/>/>

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 2

What's the deal with dealing with the unused space 'twixt corps and fan? That no player zone between the pit and the front wall.

Imagine amazing drill and general corps goodness oozing right up to that wall. (You know, right where the wheelchair folks are. tongue.gif) Move the judges table to the pressbox, or wherever.

How much more space do you need? A football field isn't big enough or am I missing something?

Let the corps put the pit wherever they want. Let them "explore the space" as the great producer Bruce Dickinson used to say. Just give them the measurements of each venue before the season starts and let them adapt.

This has been tried in the earlier TOC possibilities and it proved unworkable.

Track areas are sacred at some stadiums and are no go zones as part of the contracts at these schools/fields.

Interesting. People do walk all over the track though; and roll pit equipment to and from the field. But presumably not the level of abuse that marchers would put on it.

Electric outlets for the pit and the wiring to such are often within this area and would become not only a nuisance but a safety concern for performers and judges if broached.

I would think the pit would be moved up to the "new front line", and so would the wiring.

In the large stadia used for the regionals, there have already been complaints that the upper deck viewers and back row audience is unable to see some pit performers due to the pitch of the stadium architechure, immoveable.

Now that's important. And odd: I would think the architects would want everybody to be able to see the coaches and benched players chatting, that kind of thing. So this would require focusing on a somewhat limited venue choice.

However, you do get credit for the thread title; nice alliteration. (Does that go on the GE or Analysis sheet?)smile.gif/>/>

Hmm, a DCP thread scoring system? Instead of the five stars, have separate Content and Achievement scores out of 100. This could even replace the +/- used on each post. tongue.gif

Thanks for the reply.

Why do I feel like I need a stiff drink after reading this thread????

I think this topic can be taken even further, but we need to be careful.

If they can come up to the front fence or wall line, why can't they come up into the stands for solos with the audience.Or be put onto elevated platforms to be able to play above the audience and have a surround sound affect.

There is a lot of change that comes with progression in corps. Used to be we just stayed on the field that the football players use, and to many extents that remains the same, we don't repaint yard and hash lines to make it look different. We are now allowed to leave the confines of the front field depending on how drill is written, although I can't remember when that passed. Why then do we even stick with the football field as our limit, and instead travel to an entirely different type of venue. I guess that is what Star did by creating Blast, but seriously why are we tethered to the football field?

Just sitting here thinking, but don't take me too seriously. :shutup:/>