Brass Playing Icons -then and now

ironlips

I'm curious about current "professional" players that drum corps folks find relevant to the idiom.

Who inspires?

I may have told you that I went and caught Arturo at the Berklee Performance Center, maybe 5 years ago - the place seats 700 people - there were maybe 500 in attendance - made me want to cry.

That same week Britney Spears (okay probably more than 5 years then) sold out the Fleet Center (definitely more than 5 years) for a couple of shows.

Not sure everyone appreciated the late 60s and up to the mid-70s when the big bands were killing it.

I do know one thing - I'm grateful to have been born in 1951 - I got to see the 50s without having to do any of the dumb #### like walking around with a pack of Lucky's rolled up in my tee shirt sleeves like my brother, caught all the 60s groups inspired by the original rockers, watched as rock evolved, watched big bands like the Thundering Herd at the Empire State Building, many Maynard concerts (including the one you ran in Westchester), Broadway shows from the time I was 17 - it was the best of everything, except maybe World Music - which I suck at. If I need to know Ethnomusicology I call Gus Barbero (Dr Barbero).

I don't know who inspires young players now.

I'll have to ask one of my kids, or maybe my grandson the trombone player. God am I old...

• Like 2