DCI Essentials: Fan Favorites?

I own both of the Essentials volumes and I am astounded, especially at the second volume, of not only the audio restoration but how video from the 80's looks so clear and defined. Being born in 89, I had never been able to hear what the trumpet solo was at the end of the Cadets '89 Appalachian Spring show before the Essentials Blu-ray was released. I think this is a great series but I've been thinking lately that there are a lot of very very popular shows that did not win a championship. If DCI ever released of fan favorites in the Essentials collection, what do you think would have to be included?

First ones off the top of my head include '93 Star of Indiana, '89 Phantom, '91 Phantom, '87 SCV. I also have to throw in, for my own want to see and hear it remastered, '03 Phantom. There are of course many more I could name but I just wanted to start the discussion and see where it goes.

Also, do you think DCI will ever consider doing at least one volume of fan favorite, non-winning shows? In my opinion, the willingness of, at least myself, to pay for something like that, it shouldn't be too far down the road. I hope.

We're about to see Santa Clara restore Scheherazade. In full 1080p, no less.

Seriously if they can restore some shows with such a big improvement, I hope they can restore them all, at least all finals performances, or all top 6 placements, as funds allow. Also they should sell only those versions (including updating Fan Network). I guess I'd say they should announce as a project the restoration of all shows over time, with some kind of hoped-for schedule.

Issuing collections of great shows is a clever fundraiser, but ultimately the library itself should be optimized for everyone.

• Like 2

Restoration of '92 VK?

• Like 1

We're about to see Santa Clara restore Scheherazade. In full 1080p, no less.

Seriously if they can restore some shows with such a big improvement, I hope they can restore them all, at least all finals performances, or all top 6 placements, as funds allow. Also they should sell only those versions (including updating Fan Network). I guess I'd say they should announce as a project the restoration of all shows over time, with some kind of hoped-for schedule.

Issuing collections of great shows is a clever fundraiser, but ultimately the library itself should be optimized for everyone.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I own 2000 DVDS/Blu-Rays to the present, but none of the Legacy Collection and after seeing what the restoring technology can do, I'm a little hesitant to start buying the DVDs from before 2000 because of that possibility. At the same time, I'm not as well versed in shows during that time period as I would like to be.

When it comes to Santa Clara, I'm really excited for that show. I enjoyed the '04 show tremendously and the music lends itself to Vanguard's strengths. Can't wait to see it live at Allentown.

I'm hoping they continue to re-vamp the old shows. The 70s and 80s shows are cool, but watching the video and hearing the recordings is not an optimal experience. After that, I keep hoping they'll digitize the non-Finalist shows from that era, so many classic shows that get alluded to that aren't available on Fan Network

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I own 2000 DVDS/Blu-Rays to the present, but none of the Legacy Collection and after seeing what the restoring technology can do, I'm a little hesitant to start buying the DVDs from before 2000 because of that possibility. At the same time, I'm not as well versed in shows during that time period as I would like to be.

When it comes to Santa Clara, I'm really excited for that show. I enjoyed the '04 show tremendously and the music lends itself to Vanguard's strengths. Can't wait to see it live at Allentown.

It's interesting that they may have effectively forced themselves to restore the older stuff if people won't buy it otherwise. Still, FN is available for the older shows.

Another issue is the amount of multi-camera in the older shows, which is very high. You had a choice of viewing just the drill (pressbox angle) or almost no drill, in which case you lose track of the overall visual design, which is unfortunate. Since HD it seems to be a better balance, probably because you can see more detail in the pressbox angle than you could in pre-HD, so they use it more. Or maybe people complained.

I wish DCI had plopped a 35mm film camera atop the pressbox as well, since the conversion to 1080p would be pretty excellent. Even a 16mm would be significantly better than the video quality I've seen (though admittedly I haven't seen many of those years in pressbox).

Here's a 16mm to 1080p conversion some company is claiming (click to enlarge it):

16mm_parade_1560x1080p_High_Definition_F

In video that would be quite good. And you'll notice lots of grain that can be removed with modern methods as well. But as they say, you can never go back...

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 1