Centerville, Ohio

Well DCP we failed to create a thread for this show and I'm too tired to think of a witty pun at the moment. Just some brief thoughts.

The venue wasn't the best, getting into the stadium and to my seat was quite a hassle and the bleachers were just really crowded, seemed like more crowded than normal to me at least. However, it was a packed stadium and the crowd was great! I also met a fellow DCP guy that just happened to be sitting right in front me, made for some excellent conversation between shows with him and his friend. As a newer generation guy (I started following DCI in 2004) it was great to talk to a Cavies alumni from the G bugle era!

I missed Cincinnati Tradition because I was in the lot watching some warm ups and then I missed Pacific Crest as well because getting into the Stadium was a giant cluster :( But they sounded great from behind the stands!

Spirit of Atlanta: For all the troubles they've gone through, and I don't really know much detail on that, I was impressed. I think they had a better run than I was expecting them to. They had some nice moments and really started grooving a couple times which the audience enjoyed. I'm really hoping they make a nice comeback for next year, the kids are definitely performing their show.

What I liked the most: Seeing that the kids believe in their show and were having a blast performing it!

The Academy: Well what can I say other than WOW! I already thought this was a great show from watching the live streams, but live I was just absolutely blown away! They have come SO far! I was really impressed with their guard, the guard had a couple moments that just WOW'd the crowd and got them cheering as though the brass had just done a company front in your face block chord! That was great to see people enjoying the smaller details in a show. The chairs/gravestones are awesome and got another WOW and some laughter out of the crowd when they started playing the xylophones looking like rib cages. What a great GE moment. Brass is really coming along too, I really enjoyed the music and they're starting to play it with more confidence. It's a cheesy show but in a good way, it just works for Academy and the whole crowd loved it, huge standing O from the crowd for Academy!

What I liked the most: The colorguard had a couple awesome moments and the rib cage xylophones.

The Colts: They've taken some heat here on DCP about their props and I'll admit I wasn't a fan of them either until tonight. Tonight it was dark enough when they came on the field that you could see the lights from the props and it actually made for some pretty neat moments. Thank you colts for not having all that narration this year!

What I liked the most: The brass has a great sound this year and seeing the props live changed my mind, I like them now!

The Blue Stars: I like this show SOOO much better than last years show! Love the unis this year too. Guard is fantastic! Another guard that had some very nice moments tonight. Front ensemble sounded amazing to me and so did the brass, especially the lead trumpets. Mellos took me by surprise tonight, good stuff! The drill is really coming along in the back half of the show, it's getting cleaner!

What I liked the most: Those lead trumpets! I could listen to them all day. Bravo! Colorguard was on point!

The Madison Scouts: Well, they had a good run tonight, but it just doesn't feel like the Madison I know and love. On the positive side their run tonight was a big improvement from Atlanta and the crowd loved them. So much so that when they announced Blue Stars ahead of Madison a lot of people in the audience actually disagreed. I feel like the blue stars are definitely ahead of Scouts right now though. Their show is just more polished imo. Back to the scouts though, like I said tonights run was much improved. Brass has a big sound, percussion sounded great to my untrained ear. To me the guard felt like an after thought at times, they just didn't really grab my attention much.

What I liked the most: Screamers were playing with confidence tonight! Sounded great! Was nice to hear the trumpet duet without amplification!

Carolina Crown: Well what can I say? Just wow from front to back! Guard was absolutely on FIRE tonight! That guard is just on another level imo....absolutely stunning. Brass of course was incredible as usual though there were a couple errors (a couple missed articulations and a stick out at a cut off), maybe mental or fatigue seeing as they drove from Winston Salem NC to Centerville Ohio last night after a long day rehearsal to do it all over again today. But I'm just being nit picky as a brass guy and having come to expect the absolute best from Crown Brass. They had us sucked in from the very first note. Crowd went crazy at the Medea hit in the opener. The brass gave me chills multiple times during the show. The soloist were brilliant tonight! Roxxanne got a great reaction from the audience. The new closer is in and yes there is a crown set! YAY! The new closer is fantastic! I really think the crowd at finals is going to absolutely LOVE it. Not a percussion guy but #### they sounded amazing to my untrained ear! Percussion features were really tight, and I loved how the battery and pit really compliment the ensemble sound throughout the show. Standing O from the crowd before the show was even over! GREAT show that I still think has the potential to win it all in Indy!

What I liked the most: I'm a brass guy, Crown brass is as good as it gets IMHO. So much power and attention to detail in the music, their phrasing and articulation is astounding. However, guard stole the show for me. Again I'll say that they were absolutely stunning! Wonderful job!

• Like 7

Would have loved to see you tonight but you'd be surprised how many people had on black crown shirts. We were in Sec. C on the 50. Phone ended up dying but I got my buddys portable charger after the show ended.

Great show all together.. but the seating arrangement was... Claustrophobic at best.

• Like 1

Would have loved to see you tonight but you'd be surprised how many people had on black crown shirts. We were in Sec. C on the 50. Phone ended up dying but I got my buddys portable charger after the show ended.

Great show all together.. but the seating arrangement was... Claustrophobic at best.

Yes claustrophobic is the perfect word for it, can't wait for Massilon next week, a bit more leg room and MUCH better acoustics. I was in section C on the 50 as well, row T. Had another DCP poster literally right in front of me.

Yes claustrophobic is the perfect word for it, can't wait for Massilon next week, a bit more leg room and MUCH better acoustics. I was in section C on the 50 as well, row T. Had another DCP poster literally right in front of me.

AA here.. was it you perhaps who jumped up and cheered at the end before everyone else.. lol.

Nice Review Das Tuba. Particlarly enjoyed your comments regarding THE ACADEMY. Yes the guard is quite strong this year the lead "actors/Wedding Couple" have so much chemistry and artistry between them. Those Xylo's skeletons, is another annual Classic Academy Front Ensemble feature. Surprised you didn't mention the Closer...IMHO, Their full, extended version and fluegelhorn solo of "Unchained Melody" is one of the most fan pleasing and emotionally satisfying of the summer.

• Like 2

AA here.. was it you perhaps who jumped up and cheered at the end before everyone else.. lol.

Quite possibly lol, I was very excited about the new closer!

Quite possibly lol, I was very excited about the new closer!

Man.. me freaking too. I had a blast. That closer really did it for me.

• Like 1

Nice Review Das Tuba. Particlarly enjoyed your comments regarding THE ACADEMY. Yes the guard is quite strong this year the lead "actors/Wedding Couple" have so much chemistry and artistry between them. Those Xylo's skeletons, is another annual Classic Academy Front Ensemble feature. Surprised you didn't mention the Closer...IMHO, Their full, extended version and fluegelhorn solo of "Unchained Melody" is one of the most fan pleasing and emotionally satisfying of the summer.

I knew I left something out about Academy! Thank you! You're absolutely right about that! The flugelhorn soloist was incredible and you hit the nail on the head with "emotionally satisfying". My apologies it's been a long day lol.

• Like 2

One more thing I forgot to mention about Academy, Please DCI give this guy the Drum Major award (Jim Jones award if I remember correctly) this year. I caught myself multiple times looking away from the field to watch him for a second. He was so much fun to watch! So much energy and emotion in his conducting. This is a guy I'd like to see conducting The Chicago Symphony in the future! Bravo young man!

Edited by DasTuba
  • Like 2

One more thing I forgot to mention about Academy, Please DCI give this guy the Drum Major award (Jim Jones award if I remember correctly) this year. I caught myself multiple times looking away from the field to watch him for a second. He was so much fun to watch! So much energy and emotion in his conducting. This is a guy I'd like to see conducting The Chicago Symphony in the future! Bravo young man!

He felt the show.. so I felt the show. That's all there is to it. The energy of the DM directly affects mine. Always been that way for me.

• Like 1