Scoring - ? re Content + Performance v Performance ONLY

FYI, both of these posts come from the Madison Scouts thread.

On 7/31/2018 at 04:28 PM, Nine White Russians said:

Sad that the activity has become an elite professional career for staff instead of an activity that serves youth. I know it's been that way for quite awhile, 

but if it truly were for the youth,  the judging would be prioritized toward the performers on the field, NOT the adult designers. 

I as a performer had absolutely zero control over WHAT I performed. I only had control over HOW I performed it. Why should

more than half of my score be based on something I have zero influence over?

So Corps have to be able to raise MINIMUM a million dollars per season to be anywhere near competitive! 

It's not sustainable for very long and I'm afraid more and more lower Corps will continue to fold.

20 hours ago I posted this in reply to NWR:

In an idle moment a few days ago, I was reviewing the San Antonio results and wondered if the results would change if the corps were scored only on their performance/achievement.

For SCV, their SA score of 92.325 would become 91.850. a difference of 0.475.

For BD, their SA score of 90.975 would become 90.425, a difference of 0.550.

For BLUE, their SA score of 90.675 would become 89.900, a difference of 0.775.

For CC, their SA score of 90.088 would become 89.445, a difference of 0.643.

The order of placement in SA would be the same for these 4 corps under either approach.

I have not yet gone beyond this top 4 @ San Antonio to determine whether a performance only approach would have changed any other placings.

My instinct  is to say that if judges were able to concentrate only on the MM's performances  and not have to also juggle tying to assess rises and falls in content/substance, it would be more fair to the efforts of the MMs.

It also would be nice to concentrate our banter on DCP on critiques of the MM's performance of their brass, percussion, guard and marching responsibilities rather than constantly focusing on design/visual matters. I am a bit tired of hearing comments along the lines of " well it is true that, e.g., the guard members only dropped  their weapons X number of times but WOW! their overall guard design was so good that we can just ignore such mistakes, such lack of performance. ". I agee with Mr. Zingali's assessment that drill is not art, it is drill.

If you want to recognize design, add a 5 point caption for overall Design and use the other 95 points to judge the performance achievement of our MMs.

So basically go back to the tick system. I could write paragraphs about what a horrible idea this is and how it would kill the activity and the members you are thinking you are helping would hate it but I won't. I'll just say this.

NO

• Like 3