1998 Crossmen recording tempo question

I recently created a playlist of my favorite shows including 1998 Crossmen and I am wondering if anyone can help me answer this question about tempos.

1) The version I added to my device has the introduction from Brandt Crocker - 'On the field  - presenting their program A Pat Metheny Portrait" seems to be the professional recording

however 

2) If I go back to the audio CD from 1998 - all that was included is Brandt Crocker saying the name of the corps and the show beginning. 

3) with a quick YouTube search I find that the audio of the opener is slower than version 1 

Can anyone else verify these two versions of the same show and why one has such a faster tempo than the other?

Thanks folks!

By the way, 1998 Crossmen is one of my favorite shows. I feel fortunate to have seen it live early in the season before I really knew was drum corps was all about.

13 minutes ago, copyright said:

I recently created a playlist of my favorite shows including 1998 Crossmen and I am wondering if anyone can help me answer this question about tempos.

1) The version I added to my device has the introduction from Brandt Crocker - 'On the field  - presenting their program A Pat Metheny Portrait" seems to be the professional recording

however 

2) If I go back to the audio CD from 1998 - all that was included is Brandt Crocker saying the name of the corps and the show beginning. 

3) with a quick YouTube search I find that the audio of the opener is slower than version 1 

Can anyone else verify these two versions of the same show and why one has such a faster tempo than the other?

Thanks folks!

By the way, 1998 Crossmen is one of my favorite shows. I feel fortunate to have seen it live early in the season before I really knew was drum corps was all about.

Maybe one is a mid season recording? I recall in 1998 DCI doing a mid season recording that year, and selling CD's of it not long after the recording date.

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

Maybe one is a mid season recording? I recall in 1998 DCI doing a mid season recording that year, and selling CD's of it not long after the recording date.

I think you're right! Interesting that the tempo was faster midseason than at finals...Perhaps they overhyped?

DCI intentionally sped up the audio on an initial pressing to fit Brandt's announcements. A month or so later, due to complaints, DCI reissued the discs to those who had already received them (I have both sets!) because everyone complained about the tempo. I actually prefer the faster tempo versions with the complete introductions, but I definitely understand how it was an issue. I just wish they hadn't abridged the announcements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris Rohn said:

DCI intentionally sped up the audio on an initial pressing to fit Brandt's announcements. A month or so later, due to complaints, DCI reissued the discs to those who had already received them (I have both sets!) because everyone complained about the tempo. I actually prefer the faster tempo versions with the complete introductions, but I definitely understand how it was an issue. I just wish they hadn't abridged the announcements.

Interesting! I guess after hearing it so many times at the slower tempo it seemed 'off' to me to hear the other faster version. I guess that's the percussionist in me.

After the 98 CD's they stopped including the introduction all-together not to mention the finale audio. 

Thanks for the information.