Help wanted from the 2003 crown snares

n8thedrummerboy

As many know on this forum, I want to make the crown snareline. In fact, I want to make it more than anything in my life right now (yes, I am a little obsessed w/ it).

While I have a private instructor, my ability level in marching percussion is above his (mainly b/c I keep up to date on things). I have also had clinics with Jeff Queen and I have learned a great deal from them.

However, I am sure there are things I don't know about his technique, and I really need a guy from the Crown snareline to help me.

I live in NC, so I know some of you Appalachian State snareliners are in crown and are in the state. So if you could please shoot me like a private message or something and we could hopefully work something out.

If you don't live in NC, I would love to hear some tips from you guys if you have any you want to share.

Any help you guys can give me to better my chances of making the Crown snareline in 04, It would appreciate more than you could believe. thanks!

p.s. the crown show rocked this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Know how to sight-read, always practice with a metronome, have good technique (no space in the right-hand between first and second finger, keep all your fingers on the stick...even during the fast stuff :-), left hand make sure you aren't "holding a cup of tea") everybody is going to go to an audition with some hands...who makes the line is who can adjust to what is going on around them...just my two cents for you man...you might see me there

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliments on the show. :)

I agree with Tom. Too many guys come to auditions who can "ram some notes" but they can't play 8 on a hand clean with the rest of the line. And that's what it's about. Fundamentals. The staff will build your chops. They also want to see that you are flexible. They need guys who can adapt to the technique quickly. Always learn. Pay close attention to everything that is going on during the camp and learn from it.

Keep this in mind but don't let it change your attitude at all. There are some vets in the '04 line. You know what that means. You have to work that much harder. Practice very hard. Practice smart. Intelligent practice is much more effective than scattered, unfocused practice. Metronome. Always. Period. Don't over-work yourself. Don't burn yourself out. You want it badly, I can tell. I see that you've already registered. :) Good! Your drive and desire to succeed is very important. More important than talent if it is used correctly. It's a good idea to have a backup corps in case you don't make it. If you don't make it, march somewhere. Experience increases your desirability, and in turn, increases your chances of making the line.

So to recap... Be the man on fundamentals. Come to camp with a good attitude and an open mind. I'll look for you there. If you need help, I'll be more than happy to. In and outside of camp. I live in southern SC so meeting up isn't really an option but shoot me an email or a message. I've been through what you are anticipating so I know what it's like. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Email me and we'll talk about the technique.

Work hard. Work smart. Always ask if you have a question. Keep your attitude. Never lose that motivation. Good luck! :)