starting to drum?

PhunkieBehaveYer

PhunkieBehaveYer -

I like your alias.

Well, if you're aiming at drumset or something like that, you might want to get started on something like snare. I'd say, to get with an instructor with decent technique and experience, and learn how to grip the sticks / where to hit the drum, how to play a roll with a decent sound, etc. Stone's "Stick Control" is a good book, if I recall correctly.

But, some of the most fun I had when learning is when I got a guy to teach me some latin percussion grooves on conga. To do that sort of music right actually uses technique quite a bit (the different types of slaps and pops on the drum), but you get to groove, and it's fun!

After playing saxophone very well for about four years and being very interested in marching percussion for all of those years, I finally started taking snare lessons my senior year in high school. I took from a SUPER nice guy who specializes on drum set and while he taught me a TON of what I know about drumming now (four years later), I wish I could have gotten instruction that was more marching-oriented since that was about the only time I had a chance to play on a real drum.

Anyway, I'd definitely take lessons from a teacher that teaches "rudimental stand-up snare drumming". Tell him/her you're interested in marching percussion. Then buy a Real Feel practice pad, a set of Hardimons, and drum as often as you can! :) This is what I did and I've also made it a point to hang out with the friends of mine that do college marching percussion as often as possible. Just a few weeks ago, I sat around with the Baylor University drumline playing on practice pads and drinking beer at one of the guy's apartment (one of my friends is on the tenor line). For a wannabe drummer like me, it was awesome. B) I also used my knowledge to play concert percussion in one of my university's concert bands last year. Since I already knew how to read music, I did really well and had a blast. Anyway, good luck--I'm sure you'll do great! :)

P.S.-I still play saxophone in one of my university's concert bands. B)

Edited by STAT 007