Best Horn Makers

sokkerboie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Kings Phantom played were ni-i-ice. Kanstul makes good horns, too, although it's been over a decade since I played one....

I loved Phantom's sound and listened to them in finals after talking with the sales guy from King. But they sounded soft and warm but never really had that hair splitting push you against your seat sound.....was that because of a decision by their brass staff to hold back or the horns. Is there a horn that you get the best of both worlds (loud and strong as well as soft and gentle)?

Kanstuls = awesome

Great workmanship, great balance, great sound. Can't beat 'em.

B) I will never pass up an opportunity to talk up Kanstul. When I marched, they didn't even exist as a company, yet Kanstul's horns were in EVERYBODY'S hands: Olds Ultratone and American Heritage. Those were the horns built by Zig Kanstul. DEG was yet only a marketing idea, and Yamaha was still manufacturing sporting goods and inferior student instruments. <**>

Does anyone doubt that Kanstul's quality and craftsmanship is superior? What about remarkable intonation? That's why they cost more. They don't give them away, because they don't have to! A line of Kanstuls represents an investment, not a marketing strategy.

...Really gotta cut down on caffeine... :rolleyes:

i would take kanstul everything but mellos. i would take all kanstul and then yamaha mellos. kanstul mellos suck a big bag and are very hard to play in tune.

Thank you for your kind words about our marching brass, however I'm surprised at your assessment of our Mellophone. The KMM 280 Marching Mellophone is generally regarded as the best in the industry, and judging by sales, it is the most popular of our marching brass line.

I'm sure that if you put it to a strobe, you'll find that our mellophone is more consistent and has better intonation than any other mellophone on the market. In a real-time marching situation, remember that the "tune any note" feature is an advantage. As well, our horns have been engineered with decades of Zig Kanstul's knowledge from his days as head of R & D for Olds and as VP of Manufacturing for King, Conn and Benge.

Best Regards,

I like the tone that yamahas have, i think the intonation of a horn is for the most part, the responsibility of the player, although the horn can help and that is kanstul's strengths. I like the sound of the kings, but if you ask me they look a little funny, the contras and euphs anyways. I think the kanstul G bari was the best G bari ever made but DEG has made alot more inovations in their horns in the past couple years, especially compared to kanstul.