THE 2022 ACADEMY "Imagined Creation Show"

OBSERVATION:  THE ACADEMY with its production of "A World of My Imagination" has returned back (not that is ever left) to the Creation of what many are saying is more Fan Friendly Favorite show.  However, I find it concerning that the Corps scoring trajectory is noticeably lagging, compared typically to their previous Top 15 shows. All the Elements are there: From the Classic Look in Purple Tux and Tail Uniforms, to a quite Sophisticated yet familiar Music Book, to an extremely demanding and well executed percussion book and battery, along with it's nearly 40 member guard displaying perhaps it's best command of equipment in performance, that I have personally observed from THE ACADEMY since it's debut in 2004. So why the unusually low/lagging scores. Sadly, I believe I can answer my own question.

It's become quite evident that the Curse of the Covid-19+ Virus is the one common denominator, negatively impacting THE ACADEMY and many other Corps performances and scores. Such as the approximately 20+ missing MM from The Academy's Annapolis show and worse the reportedly 40!? missing MM from a recent performance by my beloved "Casper Wyoming Troopers," (who inspired me to march 24" Concert Cymbals in my local Corps back in 1969!)

I never "Imagined" that the Corps entertaining "Creation" would see it's score trajectory partially victimized by a Virus.  Godspeed to All.

Well said, DCR. I was very pleasantly surprised at Academy's return to the fun days both in style and most certainly in uniforms, aka the class of DCI. I had some extremely high hopes they'd at least be in the hunt for an 11 or 12 spot, but this awful curse that has affected so many others seems to have made that an impossibility. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Well said, DCR. I was very pleasantly surprised at Academy's return to the fun days both in style and most certainly in uniforms, aka the class of DCI. I had some extremely high hopes they'd at least be in the hunt for an 11 or 12 spot, but this awful curse that has affected so many others seems to have made that an impossibility. 

Sadly OldSnareDrummer, "It just wasn't meant to be." The real consequential after effects, and disappointment of the Corps not even achieving Top 15,  thus left out of Fathom's/DCI "Big, Loud and Live" August 11th Cinecast, is also a serious recruiting tool loss. The full impact could (hopefully Not) weigh heavily on recruiting in the Corps return in 2023.

A C A D E M Y . I WISH THEM ALL "WELL" IN INDY. i'LL BE IN STANDS YELLING MY LUNGS OUT IN FULL SUPPORT OF YOUR MARVELOUS 2022 "WORLD OF MY/YOUR IMAGINATION" PROGRAM AND GOUGING ON ALL THE INFECTIOUS CONFECTIONS YOU'LL BE SERVING UP TO ALL YOUR FANS IN THE STANDS!  IT WILL BE SO YUMMY! GODSPEED!

THE FANS ARE GOING TO EAT ALL YOU OOMPAS LOOMPAS UP! ENJOY! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DrumCorpsRelic said:

OBSERVATION:  THE ACADEMY with its production of "A World of My Imagination" has returned back (not that is ever left) to the Creation of what many are saying is more Fan Friendly Favorite show.  However, I find it concerning that the Corps scoring trajectory is noticeably lagging, compared typically to their previous Top 15 shows. All the Elements are there: From the Classic Look in Purple Tux and Tail Uniforms, to a quite Sophisticated yet familiar Music Book, to an extremely demanding and well executed percussion book and battery, along with it's nearly 40 member guard displaying perhaps it's best command of equipment in performance, that I have personally observed from THE ACADEMY since it's debut in 2004. So why the unusually low/lagging scores. Sadly, I believe I can answer my own question.

It's become quite evident that the Curse of the Covid-19+ Virus is the one common denominator, negatively impacting THE ACADEMY and many other Corps performances and scores. Such as the approximately 20+ missing MM from The Academy's Annapolis show and worse the reportedly 40!? missing MM from a recent performance by my beloved "Casper Wyoming Troopers," (who inspired me to march 24" Concert Cymbals in my local Corps back in 1969!)

I never "Imagined" that the Corps entertaining "Creation" would see it's score trajectory partially victimized by a Virus.  Godspeed to All.

I've been saying this all season. First show in Southern California, they were less than 4 pts behind Mandarins, and now they are over 11 pts behind them. Covid has affected all corps this year, so I don't know how much of that has affected their ability to improve during the season vs other corps. But it is evident they have not cleaned up both visually and musically like they should have over 6 weeks. I still hear a lot of tuning and ensemble issues in the brass that I would not have expected to still hear from them after ~20 shows under their belt, and I am not in any position to speculate why. I know they had issues with recruiting last year and this year, so I'm sure that's part of it. But hopefully they can finish the season strong and come back even better next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 9:37 PM, CAtenhut said:

I've been saying this all season. First show in Southern California, they were less than 4 pts behind Mandarins, and now they are over 11 pts behind them. Covid has affected all corps this year, so I don't know how much of that has affected their ability to improve during the season vs other corps. But it is evident they have not cleaned up both visually and musically like they should have over 6 weeks. I still hear a lot of tuning and ensemble issues in the brass that I would not have expected to still hear from them after ~20 shows under their belt, and I am not in any position to speculate why. I know they had issues with recruiting last year and this year, so I'm sure that's part of it. But hopefully they can finish the season strong and come back even better next year.

CAtenhut: THE ACADEMY certainly brought a more "Whole-some" Corps to Indy. Ending the tour with perhaps, its two strongest tour performances. Their 4+ point leap in Prelims score Thursday was most welcomed and well deserved, and on Saturday the Corps of Oompa-Loompas left a Lucas Oil Stadium audience brimming with a confectionary delight. YUMMY!   Thank You and CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!