Judging 1970's

Judging was different due to the tic system. Scores would jump around so much you didn't know if you were getting a fair shot. When you get the chance, look at scores for two shows on the same day with almost the same corps. 1972 we got beat by a lot of NY corps but when we went to The US Open....we beat some of those corps that beat us in NY. Now I know why we started to compete more in Ontario, Canada.

I remember our last show in Canada (in London, ONT) and we almost took high horns. Finally (1976) at the NT Open we won Class A against Peterborough Krescendos and Simplex Minutemen.

I guess no one will say that judging was rigged or fixed back then or even today. You would hope there was integrity but then, you never know.

I look at placement from show to show today and I can tell who will win or what place they will take a month before Finals. Yes there may be one or two changes but they are usually consistent.

When I marched DCA years ago, I knew scores would go up about 4 points each week. The corps didn't change places.

I think I saw a score from 1973 or 1974 where we went from a 36 on a Saturday show to a 44 the very next day. I am fairly certain we didn't make changes between shows and probably only got a short amount of rehearsal time before the afternoon Sunday. hmmmmm

Just a little somethin' somethin' to complain about LOL

11 hours ago, ironlips said:

Well, you do expose the greatest flaw in the tic system: it wasn't very accurate, particularly for field judges. You could be on the relatively clean soprano side whilst a train wreck was occurring amongst the baritones. It happened all the time.

YUP!  Not to mention “tolerance”…just what *is* a tic, anyway?  The CSJA (Central States Judging Assn) was the frontrunner in having clinics to address tolerance, but it never really got remedied.  Positioning was, like Frank says, a huge problem, and at critique, battles would erupt on the topic regularly.  One time when I was working under Bobby Hoffman on ‘74 Kingsmen staff, he had me and the other tech (Jim Messina…and it was just us two!) jot down positions of the two M&M judges using diagrams of sets.  Well, at critique that nite, Hoff nailed one of the judges for being out of position…did it have an effect?  Well, down the road, yes, the same guy was “nicer” to us, lol.  I think what we have now is *much* better and fairer.

• Like 1