Why Volunteer ?

Right now is the time of the year when Corps are beginning to fill in their rosters of volunteers. People have the tour schedule and there is still time to take that week off work to help your favorite corps make its way to Indy.  

Now many people say why should I volunteer and what are the benefits ?

1 For me the #1 benefit is that it is a chance to get to know the kids who are marching. almost every corps lets all the volunteers go to every full ensemble every night so you get to see what they are working on, then when they come to the food line you can ask them how it is going. It also will make you feel good about the future. With all the negative things being said about genZ, seeing these kids work hard gives you hope for the future and dispels those myths we sometimes believe about younger generations.  While safety concerns keep the volunteers somewhat separated from the marchers you can still talk with them in open public environments.  

2 Being able to say "We" when talking about the corps. The corps I marched with is long gone but now I feel that I can say we when I talk about the corps I work with, and I am a part of something. The Corps I have worked with the most was struggling the first summer I worked with them and last year they were a crowd favorite I get to feel the sense of accomplishment with the coprs, even though I don't work nearly as hard as the marchers do.

3 for me it is redemption,  My DCi exoerience was not to good. I came in mid season in a Corps that was falling apaert. We did not get good food, or good sleep and many of the instructors had a military, tough it out type attitude. When I know that the kids are eating well when I am there I feel good and I hope that I am making their marching experiences better than mine was,

4. Inside Information. This is tricky because you know what the show is and what is being added every day at practice, but you are not supposed to tell everyone. But inside you can do a superiority dance because you know something that only a few people know.

5. Family. When you work hard with people who may have been strangers a week ago you all become family sharing goals and pushing for the same thing in helping the corps. Since many of the volunteers are parents you also find yourself spying on the kids for their parents who worked with you, as well as looking out for their kids.  Last summer I left for 3 weeks while I dealt with COVID and the day I came back everyone welcomed me back and it was like a reunion, even with some people who were not know for being the easiest people to along with. Then at the end of season banquet you meet up with probably 30 people you have worked with at one time or another aver the summer and you are again like a family.

One thing that I would say is that if you help with the food truck it will most likely wear you out and sign up for a week first to see how you like it because you will get worn out and a 2nd or 3rd week could be less fulfilling if you are sore and only half awake.

Also if you are a parent you will see your child, but for reasons that have been pointed out many times on DCP and other forums older people are generally separated from the marchers and even the under 18 are separated from those older than 18,  you may not have a lot of one on one time with them

I am sure thare are hundreds of other great reasons to volunteer, but I hope that many of you will at least look into this while your summer is still being planned

• Like 4

After aging out, I came back and taught M&M for about 4 years. After I got a real job I moved over to support staff. Four years on cooking staff and then several years after on Souvie staff. I wouldn’t trade any of those years for love nor money! Sure, touring can be tough, but the rewards of helping marching members be their best and meeting and interacting with fans during tour are priceless! What great memories. If you can commit to a stint on tour do it for your corps….you won’t regret it! Honest!

• Like 2