What about tuning, 440. 441... 444 hz etc, at hornlines ?

MORA

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 12:17 PM, MORA said:

What about tuning, 440. 441... 444 hz etc, In hornlines ? I`ve transcribed some pieces by BD and noted that I`ve needed to "Detune" or pitch my keyboard midi to empathize with the music playing. 

I am fairly certain that hornlines use 440 as their reference tuning.......mainly because with any other tuning, they would be "off" with the pit........with synthetic bars, the pitch of the pit keyboards should be quite stable (which is 440) and only the synths/timpani can adjust, the rest are stable.

That said, hornlines do "fluctuate" due to temperatures/etc.......they can go significantly off/sharp  in cases of extreme heat, and also extreme temperature changes........I remember one year in particular where it was well over 100 in the parking lot in San Antonio, and they warmed up and then came into adome.....I don't know exactly when they "tuned", but things were way, way off with the pit..........ironically, it didn't show up in the score......lol......I do think that staffs have gotten better in recent years  in  figuring it out, though......