Batter Head Snare Orientation

Thanks Shawn.  Yes a Scottie so to speak.  I was well on my way 5 years ago making a 16" civil war looking Scottie, extended a 14" top snare, bought all the parts I thought I needed when I discovered the Scotties need super high tension and a Kevlar head.  Couldn't find Kevlar in 16".  So there it sat until I recently got tired of looking at it and decided to assemble it and see what happens.   

• 2 weeks later...

Shawn I am doing final assembly and I may have overlooked something.  Some snare drums have indentations on two sides of the shell where the snares cross over the bottom shell rim.  I am seeing my cat gut is not sitting on the bottom head no matter how tensioned they are. I'm thinking I need to add these indentations in the shell.  Can you tell me how deep this indentation is on any of your drums?    

31 minutes ago, DrumMakerSS said:

Shawn I am doing final assembly and I may have overlooked something.  Some snare drums have indentations on two sides of the shell where the snares cross over the bottom shell rim.  I am seeing my cat gut is not sitting on the bottom head no matter how tensioned they are. I'm thinking I need to add these indentations in the shell.  Can you tell me how deep this indentation is on any of your drums?    

I think you're referring to the "snare bed"? It's a small contour cut into the bearing edge to allow the snares to rest flat on the bottom snare head. Google "snare bed" for some info & videos. I guess they're cut with a small router bit. May have to send ht shell to a custom builder for a proper cut? Metal shells also have a snare bed.  I think Ludwig used to 'hand hammer' their snare beds in the metal shells. I restore vintage shells but haven't tried recutting bearing edges yet. Good luck!   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx