Judging with the Wind

TomMoore

I was never fortunate enough to march in drum corps, but I love the activity and see it as often as possible. I don't claim to understand the judging system, but that's another story.

Can anyone enlighten me on whether the colorguard and/or visual judges make any compensation for excess wind during a corps' performance. Here's the context of my question: In Buffalo, 2001, during quarterfinals and semifinals, particularly during the earlier corps' performances, the wind was quite heavy and frequently when the guard would toss their flags, they wouldn't be caught -- not because of the member's ability to catch the flag, but because it got carried away by the wind. From a visual perspective it obviously marred the performance but I felt very bad for the kids, because it had nothing to do with them. So what does the judge do in that situation?

Thanks for enlightening me!

I don't know if the judges allow for wind, but I do know there is a toss technique that compensates for wind.

Most guards are taught how to deal with high winds as they are often a problem in the little shows around the country.. Granted, there is always the exception to the rule, but that is something I would see (if I were a judge) as a technique issue -- even if that guard could toss and catch with ease and continuity without wind -- I would be forced to ask myself why they weren't compensating..

just a few thoughts..

I remember windy day rehearsals where the instructors would say, "let's break out the tosses" and then we would do tosses in each direction (and if it sucked we would do it some more).

I think the judges take into consideration how a guard deals with whatever comes up- wind, or tripping on the turf, or whatever inevitable random stuff screws up your best intentions. Cause that stuff is going to happen, but if a guard recovers well, it won't take away from GE and if a judge is close enough to notice, they will know that its not the same thing as forgetting a count or doing a move wrong.