Scottish drumming and grip.

MikeN

We got the drum guy at the "big" pipe band in Austin to come work with us last night. First thing he did was let me play one note and told me my grip was bad. :P

It's okay, I knew it was coming - I pretty much had to teach myself traditional grip, but what he changed it to was weird.

For left hand, I don't know how different "regular" trad grip is, he's got my palm perpendicular to the plane of the drum, and almost all of the stick action is controlled by the thumb on top.

For my right hand, I was a little more confident, since I was used to playing matched, but he changed that, too.

Now, it's more of a french grip - more finger than wrist... heck, really, it's like a timpani grip. Again, thumb on top. (Basically, rotate your wrist 90 degrees clockwise from the palm-down thing most schools teach.)

It's taking some getting used to, but I can live with it, I suppose.

Pipe band drumming - much more different and distinct from "regular" marching drumming than I ever thought it'd be.

Mike

Isn't that how it was done (by some eastern corps) up until the mid 80s or am I thinking of something else?

I know what match grip looks like, but I think when I marched in 2-7 we used the "Scotish Snap" ??? Am I making up names here or what??

"Scottish Snap" is playing the 16th before the dotted 8th. I'm not a percussionist but I've been around some of the best. Well, OK, I played bass drum and then tenor drum (old school, with slings!) in my first drum corps experience.

I understood what you were saying.....pipe band drumming is a trip, isn't it? I've always been attracted to that sound.....it was so different from the usual drum corps sound I'd heard all my life.....not that I don't love that, too, I absolutely love the poly-rhythms and poly-tonality of the percussion section!

But the Scottish stuff.....maybe just genetic as I am 50% Scotsman as my father was born in Glasgow.....but I'm a proud American of Scottish descent and I dig pipes and drums almost as much as drum corps itself.

RON HOUSLEY

Having seen a seminar with the legendar Jim Kilpatrick several years ago it was evident his technique was completely different to anything I'd seen before.

the left hand thumb on top doing the majority of the action for that hand. I was amazed but the guy just had flawless control and speed. If you ever get the chance to even speak to Jim take it!

cheers

Mike:

Here's a link to grip / stroke videos by one of the side drummers from Peel Regional Police. One thing you'll notice is that fingers and thumb don't come into play until the tempo / speed really picks up. Until then, it's arm and wrist -- just as you're accustomed to.

Also, if you don't already own it, I highly recommend Doug Stronach's book, Snare Drum Pipe Band Tutor. It includes 14 videos that demonstrate and explain the pipe band grip.

So yes, it's very different, but not as much as some would have you believe, IMHO. Give it some time and you'll be amazed at how smooth and fast this technique becomes for you.