SCV 1974...Great Memories!!!

WOW! I've got MusicMatch Jukebox Radio playing right now...they just played Britten's "Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra" on the Classical station...brought back some very fond memories of SCV's 1974 show! I'm putting in the DCI Legacy DVD right...NOW!

(Which reminds me of that other thread on "marching tympani". Talk about a great backfield tymp sound..."Send in the Clowns" is pretty freakin' awesome!) :P

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Which reminds me of that other thread on "marching tympani". Talk about a great backfield tymp sound..."Send in the Clowns" is pretty freakin' awesome!) :P

Not to mention "Chavala" THE most beautiful back field tymps...My favorite... :)

Not to mention "Chavala"  THE most beautiful back field tymps...My favorite... :)

Yes, good choice! Chavala had the birdy tweets too right?

Right!

Maggie, I have a quick question. Do you remember in 74 at prelims if the announcer was still announcing you and you had already begun? I know it was a long time ago, but I thought this may stick out in your mind.

At the end of the Brass Roots video they show a song from every champion. The announcer begins to announce you, and you are already 4 to 8 counts into the OTL. He stops in the middle of the introduction. I believe he was cued (sp) incorrectly. It may have been another show, if you were at Midwest prelims...but it was definately day time.

Don't remind me about the gray matter, I think I've forgotten more than I remember so.....no biggie if this doesn't stick out in your mind! ;)^ I was at the show and don't remember....ooops

'74 Vanguard had such a fantastic show. Ithaca was the first time I ever saw the corps (my first DCIs). I still love listening to it. The drum solo is the greatest . . . these days drum solos just don't have that rudimental hop to them . . . now it's all about jamming in as many notes as possible.

Maggie, I have a quick question. Do you remember in 74 at prelims if the announcer was still announcing you and you had already begun? I know it was a long time ago, but I thought this may stick out in your mind.

At the end of the Brass Roots video they show a song from every champion. The announcer begins to announce you, and you are already 4 to 8 counts into the OTL. He stops in the middle of the introduction. I believe he was cued (sp) incorrectly. It may have been another show, if you were at Midwest prelims...but it was definately day time.

Don't remind me about the gray matter, I think I've forgotten more than I remember so.....no biggie if this doesn't stick out in your mind! ;)^ I was at the show and don't remember....ooops

Yeah it's on the prelim show for '74 finals (the ONLY way I would remember it, heh). He says "Vanguard you may enter the field in compitition" The drums and bells start to do the roll into Die Gotterdammerung (he might not have heard them) and so he repeats "you may take... " then he figured out his error and stops.

That's what I remember from the video, not from the actual show. Had too much on my mind at the time to notice he said something twice. You know how it is Nancy, once the DM says "Go" you GO!

So, Now I'll have to watch it again (darn) to make sure I'm right... :ph34r:

You are saying it correctly I'm sure! As I can tell from the video, that is what happens.

At that point you would not have heard it, you were all going for it hard! And it looks almost as though the rifles did hear it and decided they would be harder and crisper to drown it out-if that was possible....no one blinked, missed a step or count.....but the announcer!! :P

Where can I get the video you're talking about? I've always wanted a video of '74 SCV. I bought the McCormick "Competitive Drum Corps" video because it says "1974" and "Santa Clara Vanguard", but it's about '73 SCV . . . I guess it was released in '74.