Another bari/euph question

scadesboi

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh don't do that... you never know when you'll need a good paperweight or maybe you could carry it around in your glove compartment in case you ever get stranded underwater and need to break a window.

Agreed, nicely put.

Personally, I played a 51D the year I played lead. Worked just fine in the upper register when you get used to it. For euph though, I played a Schilke 59 with my high school orchestra and brass ensemble.

Edited by Phirefenix

51B on euphonium is NOT a good idea. Try a Schilke 51D, 52E2, Wick SM4, or Wick SM3. For marching I use a Schilke 51D and for concert I use a Wick SM4

It was a lot better then that 1 1/2 G "toilet bowl" that came with the horn, let me tell you! :D

I would have gotten a 51D for the euph but a member of the Statesmen sop line had a new 51B which he sold me for half price. Like I said above, better than what I was playing on at the time!

51B on euphonium is NOT a good idea. Try a Schilke 51D, 52E2, Wick SM4, or Wick SM3. For marching I use a Schilke 51D and for concert I use a Wick SM4

It was a lot better then that 1 1/2 G "toilet bowl" that came with the horn, let me tell you! :D

I would have gotten a 51D for the euph but a member of the Statesmen sop line had a new 51B which he sold me for half price. Like I said above, better than what I was playing on at the time!

That "toilet bowl" Bach 1 1/2 G was designed by Edward Klienhammer for bass trombone...thats why it sucks on baritone.

Honestly, the best mouthpiece that I have tried (my pool of selecting was Bach 5G, Schilke 51D, Wick SM3, Bowman) is most definatley the Wick SM3. The range is great on it (obviously depending on the player...) - but the tone difference is inequitable...quite the 'piece. The larger Wick SM4 was designed for tuba players who play euphonium often, so unless you play tuba, I'd hit up the SM3.

It is also relativley inexpensive, which is a major plus.

However the mouthpiece is, however, the emboucher and the way you use your air is of most importance. You could have the worlds best 'piece and still sound like crap if you over blow or if your mouth is shaped like crap.

Good luck, chap.

That "toilet bowl" Bach 1 1/2 G was designed by Edward Klienhammer for bass trombone...thats why it sucks on baritone.

Honestly, the best mouthpiece that I have tried (my pool of selecting was Bach 5G, Schilke 51D, Wick SM3, Bowman) is most definatley the Wick SM3. The range is great on it (obviously depending on the player...) - but the tone difference is inequitable...quite the 'piece. The larger Wick SM4 was designed for tuba players who play euphonium often, so unless you play tuba, I'd hit up the SM3.

It is also relativley inexpensive, which is a major plus.

However the mouthpiece is, however, the emboucher and the way you use your air is of most importance. You could have the worlds best 'piece and still sound like crap if you over blow or if your mouth is shaped like crap.

Good luck, chap.

A friend of mine used a 1 1/4G on euphonium. He cracked high C sometimes during warm-up exercises, but since our book was down an octave or two from there...oh well. It was what he was used to using, and he sounded good.

Kevin- Your euph came with a 1.5G? That's not bad. Our new ones came with a 6 1/2 AL, which is pretty useless, especially on euph. We were forbidden from using them.

I play bass trombone the rest of the year, so I don't mind a bass trombone or larger tenor mouthpiece on tour. (I use a 4G most of the time for corps).

I can see using a 6 1/2 AL on a lead bari part IF the book you're playing requires a "brighter" sound, like a jazz book. Otherwise, I'm all for the 51D.

If I go back to euph, I may have to check out the Wick SM3...