Question on mouthpieces

4TCMO

Howdy all, I'm not really a professional musician, but I now have a regular gig playing trumpet. My question is that I normally play Contra/Tuba and am curious about mouthpiece sizes. I got a few suggestions for a Schilke 20 or 30, but thought I'd expand my question base. Any ideas?

Play whatever feels comfortable and allows you to play with the best tone quality, etc for the longest time. I found Bach mouthpieces or Mancinkewiecz (sp?) mouthpieces are best for that.

If you're playing a lot of higher range stuff, the same would apply but you may want to use a slightly more shallow model.

i play bari/'bone/euph or tuba/contra most of the time, but occasionally pick up a trumpet or sop.. i've found a bach 1b trumpet mouthpiece is comfortable for me. best to try several before choosing one however.

whats the gig? Thats really what matters. If its a jazz gig, and your playing a higher part then i'd go with a Bob Reeves, or just a Bach like 1.5 C or smaller cup. If its just band or orchestra, then 3c or deeper and bigger. Its all relative though.

What you sound best on... If its a 101/2C cool... My guess is you can probably handle bigger.... Start around a 5C or Schilke 15 and go larger till you find what works for you.

BTW... what type of gig are you doing... If Jazz... Go smaller cup like a "D" Bach or a "B" Schilke.

Also there is no difference in the diameter in a 1 series Bach (1C, 1C, 1 1/2C, 1 1/4C). The difference is rim shape.

So wedding gigs.. I've done a couple weddings and sat in for a wedding reception dance once. But the wedding gig i was just on my 3C, it was before I bought my Warburton Set.. The dance part I borrowed a 1.5D, or was it a C. i forget.. I don't like Bach anymore now that i use Warburton and Bob Reeves. But to each his own, thats why there are so many types, not everyone can use the same brand or size/type..

Howdy all, I'm not really a professional musician, but I now have a regular gig playing trumpet. My question is that I normally play Contra/Tuba and am curious about mouthpiece sizes. I got a few suggestions for a Schilke 20 or 30, but thought I'd expand my question base. Any ideas?

you need to remember that as a tuba player, you have a lot of metal on your face. so yes, make sure that the MP is comfortable on your face. the shape of the bowl should be decided on what type of horn you play on. generally, funnel cups are for american horns and bowl cups for german horns. the size of the cup and mass of the MP also depend on what kind of horn you play on.

dont get into the habit of thinking that a MP will improve your sound or range. your MP should not be a crutch. YOU make the sound, not the MP. find one mouthpiece and stick with it, unless you get another horn

some of the better music stores will let you buy 3 at a time, try them out, then send back the ones you dont like (of course you get refunded).

www.dillonmusic.com

i play on a dillon helleburg 1 (bronze core). my instrument is a 1978 5-valve conn 3J