After watching the DVD

bluerifleboi

Ok, So not to be a bitter betty, because I am not. I just want to get some other people's educated opinion.

So it was the first time I was able to watch my 2003 finals performance (in the bluecoats colorguard). After watching bluecoats we watched both Madison scouts and Boston crusaders. I was almost dumbfounded as to how these 2 colorguards beat us in finals. I will honestly say that bostons book was well written, and I can say the same for Madisons...but from a clenlines' and execution standpoint. I as well as others in the room where really confused... - I am not bashing these other 2 hardworking colorguards...but I would still love to hear others opinions.

Thx alot.

I think that Boston and Scouts used the triad better... drill + body + equipment, thus making for a more difficult. Coats seemed to use one or two at a time. They were cleaner, but that goes back to the argument of difficulty vs. cleanliness to which there is no answer.

I also though Cadets had a much better triad than BD, but BD seemed to win with cleanliness in that battle.

The staginng of the bluecoats guard and the work at times were a bit predictable and "standard" (not bad at all, awesome guard in '03) but the Scouts presented more varied emotion and the Crusaders gave us non stop emotion, or almost constant aggresion, and disguised it with diversity........

~G~

I totally do not agree with the statement about Bluecoats not fulfilling the triad as efficiently as Boston or Madison. The Bluecoats guard was moving none stop which is more than can be said for either of the other two guards. I'm not trying to say that BAC or MS didn't use the triad effectively but to say that they used it more successfully than BCCG, i believe, is not true. Not only was the BCCG clean with their work (which was not excessively easy), they executed their body uniformly and the drill (although at times was a little shaky) was, overall, quite accurate. Where in that is the triad not accomplished? I can say after having watched all three shows a few times that BAC and MS were, in my eyes, definitely NOT cleaner by any means than BCCG and did not complete the triad more successfully. They did use it well, don't get me wrong, but not "better" than BCCG.

And to say that the staging of the BCCG was "predictable" or "standard" kind of confuses me as well. They were integrated into the corps and were used as a device for capturing and escaping throughout the entire show, thus totally coinciding with the theme of their show. The BAC guard for much of the show was just blocked in the front or around the corps. Their integration throughout the corps was alright but their staging was much more "predictable" than BCCG, i would say. And, i do agree that the BAC guard showed lots of emotion throughout the show, but it was the same emotion the whole time. I didn't feel much change throughout the show. I don't know what the comment about disguising aggresiveness with diversity was supposed to mean, so i'm not going to try to comment on that.

I am not trying to put down BAC or MS, i'm just defending what bluerifleboi said. I honestly believe that the BCCG was the better colorguard and should have receieved a score higher than both MS and BAC. Those are just my thoughts and feelings and if you don't agree... i'm sorry. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought all three had great guards. What surprised me was Phantom's guard placing as high as they did. They got lost in the show and were not well integrated into the visual design at all. The equipment use in the ballad was damaging to the musical impact, IMO, as well. Madison's guard was much improved over previous years. I was shocked they placed as low as they did. Boston's guard was wonderful as well. Excellent equipment work and they were so well integrated into the drill. I didn't think Bluecoats guard was as well integrated, or as effective, as Madison's or Boston's. I agree with GMichael's assessment.