How much does a yamaha contra weigh

Mister E Man

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

No need to pick on the Yamaha 201C tuba. I played one with the Cabs ('01-'03) and Westshoremen ('96-99' ). This horn is one of the most diversified tubas I have ever used. The reason I bought one. I can use it in basically any clef on the field or stage. Even many colleges and high schools are using them due to their diversity. Not to mention they sound great. They reasonate with the best horns with the right player. I dont mind playing them with or against any group. The Kanstul and Dynasty tubas/contras are great horns as well. I have played them as well. But, I prefer the Yamaha.

Nelson Breland

Cabs Lead Bari '00

Cabs Contra '01-'03

Retired '04

Hi all,

No need to pick on the Yamaha 201C tuba. I played one with the Cabs ('01-'03) and Westshoremen ('96-99' ). This horn is one of the most diversified tubas I have ever used. The reason I bought one. I can use it in basically any clef on the field or stage. Even many colleges and high schools are using them due to their diversity. Not to mention they sound great. They reasonate with the best horns with the right player. I dont mind playing them with or against any group. The Kanstul and Dynasty tubas/contras are great horns as well. I have played them as well. But, I prefer the Yamaha.

Nelson Breland

Cabs Lead Bari '00

Cabs Contra '01-'03

Retired '04

Nelson,

Overall this is one of the best horns I played in the middle range with mid to upper volume levels, but in extreme low register and upper register playing I didn't really care fot the response of the horn. Also extreme volume level FFF and ppp the sound got a little quirky too. Playing at the upper extreme the horn tended to blow a little sharp for me, and got a little too much edge on the sound. The low dynamics were ok, but nothing magnificent.

Granted I really only played the horn in a drum corps setting, but I can see where this would be a good horn for the likes of highschool band playing. It is a good overall horn for people with less experience.

As far as marching horns go I am partial to the Kanstul myself. The horn is ver consistent through all registers at all dynamic levels. I may be harder to play for a beginner-intermediate player, but once you get more proficient as a player making a move to a horn like this is very beneficial.

I started on the yamaha, and finally found my way to the Kanstul. It took a couple of months to adjust, but it was worth it for the ease with which the instrument plays itself. Right now we are on Degs, they are ok, a lot of quirks. More free blowing then the Yamaha, but more intonation problems that take a lot of individual effort to play.

We have our Naval Academy guys all on the Kanstuls now, and their improvement is tremendous. The horn fills up the stadium like you wouldn't believe. I think the equipment really can make the difference in sound. While the Yamahe has it's benefits, the player that can handle it, should go to the Kanstul.