Sun Prairie Show...June 13

What a night. Rain, rain and more rain. Luckily it was a driving rain, just a nice steady shower that last most of the show.

This was an exhibition, just as it has been for the past 10 years. Performing were Blue Stars, Americanos, Capital Sound, Madison and Cavaliers.

Blue Stars

This is a show of past hits from the last thirty years. I wish they would have brought back something from earlier in the 70s instead of later in that decade--like First Federal March instead of Jewish Trilogy. But that was their choice.

Very good drum line, they are definately their strength right now. The horn line had few good moments. Candide was very rough for the brass. Very rough. Knowing Blue Stars recent history though, it will be cleaned up so they can make yet another impact on the division III race.

Americanos

Not a bad performance. They gone the wind ensemble route instead of the fun route that won them DCI. Musically, the show is well written, the hornline played quite well. There's no real exciting things happening like there once were with the Canos.

Capital Sound

I love this show. The music of Elton John, Kansas, Pink Floyd is well designed and well performed. The Danny Elfman piece is the hit for me anyway, just love those minor keys.

The drumline is much better, the hornline very capable of pulling off some great things. It should be a good year for them.

Madison Scouts

Yes, the fan favorites as usual. The company front while playing Conquest for the warm up was almost perfect.

The show itself is the usual Madison fare drillwise. Lots of familiar things, but executed better this year than the last couple years anyway.

The guard is better, but not near the level of Cavies guard.

Hornline...not as loud as usual but still loud. They do have a couple screamers of course.

The show has more potential than 2000 and 2001...they just have to gear it up to bring it to that.

Cavaliers

Excellent show. The drill may not be as wide open as last years, but it's constant movement, every possible geometric shape you can think of, make it very effective.

I did like the original music. The brass really do some nice things. I was impressed!

There is a part in the show where the hornline is peeling off from where they were into a frame around the guard. While they're doing this, they're counting their drill movement outloud. Kinda cool. They eventually frame the guard and do a bunch of body moves to the accents of the drum solo.

The guard--for what flag work they did do, it was very good.

If this would have been judged--Cavies over Madison by at least 5.

This was also the first time I heard a multi-key hornline. And now I can judge--

I noticed the difference right away. Maybe, as the pundints of this said, it really isn't noticable--to the average fan--but it is very noticable.

The Bb's did seem more in tune, a different sound than the G's. The trumpets and the mids were the best for projection, baritones, not as much, and the tubas, well, if corps are going to go that route, someone needs to design one that can be constantly heard.

So, G=loud, bright, some intonation difficulties, maybe a tinnier tone

Bb=darker sound, better intonation, better tone quality, but less projection.

Verdict---They both have their good points, but I can see the writing on the wall to where one day, even Madison will have to make the change if they want to compete. Musicality is where it's at now, and the Bb's are going to blow the G's away in that department. Being somewhat of a traditionalist, that is painful for me to admit, but at the same time, one really can't stop evolution.

Frank Schoenbach

For what it is worth, here's my two cents' worth regarding last night's show.

Went to the Sun Prairie show last night sponsored by Cap Sound. I have no scores to

report, because no judges were present. This is a pretty nice high school field. The stands

are built into the side of a hill. Good sound. Here's my impressions.

Blue Stars - I really liked the opener of Jewish Trilogy. It's good that they acknowledge their

corps' history by pulling this one of the vault from 1977-1978. Nice mellophone work in the

counter melody near the end of this piece. Very judgeable drill; lots of forms made up of

files moving laterally. Lots of cleaning needed at this point. My only big concern is with

playing Candide on the march. Seems to me the staff is biting off more than their young

corps can chew.

Americanos - repetiore includes La Fiesta Mexicana by H. Owen Reed and Symphonic

Dance#3 by Clifton Williams. For those fans who think corps play too much esoteric 20th

century wind ensemble stuff on the field, this corps is proof positive that you can play 20th

century literature that is melodic and appealing to the casual viewer. They're pretty dirty

right now, but this will be a nice show within their division once it is cleaned up.

Sun Prairie's H. S. band did an exhibition of 2/3 of their show. I don't remember much about

it - sorry - except that I was impressed with the individual marching technique.

Cap Sound - if you like oldies rock music, you'll like Cap Sound. Music is from Elton John, Pink

Floyd and Kansas. Lots of stuff that will be cool when it is cleaned, such as the flag work in

the section where the rest of the corps is silent. I liked the soprano/mellophone

call-and-response in the Carry On, My Wayward Son. The fact that they played so

accurately and assertively while really spread out on the field was very impressive to me.

Madison Scouts - I agree with the other posters; lots of dirt to clean up. Particular rough

spots were the two points where they morphed into company fronts from other forms in 4-8

counts. Musical selections work well to me. The drum feature with all the African/Caribean

percussion will be very impressive in August. Talked with a member of their staff.

Interesting fact - this year's Scouts features the largest guard since 1981-1982.

Cavaliers - my first impression was that the original music program works. Lots to digest

here, like Madison. Both of these corps need multiple viewings to appreciate. Very nice

musical moment early on where the corps is in a block on the left side of the field facing the

back. Their big horns really sing at this point. Most beautiful musical moment of the night by

any corps. Cavies also do a chant thing a la New Era that's pretty impressive. It features

syncopated chanting by the full corps while the horns move into a form on the right side

that is set by the guard. Then they break into a wild section of chant and dance while

remaining stationary within the form. Sort of reminded me of very stylized hip/hop. They

struck me as being well along in their marching prorgam. Should be very impressive as they

continue to clean.

That's it - time to get ready for work.

Blue Stars

This is a show of past hits from the last thirty years.  I wish they would have brought back something from earlier in the 70s instead of later in that decade--like First Federal March instead of Jewish Trilogy.  

Well, Jewish Trilogy is where our corps song comes from, so that's why we picked that. If you'd like to hear First Federal, come to a parade :D

That's more a result of those specific horns than anything else. Yamahas are not as well-designed for projection as the Dynasties or Kanstuls are. If you get a chance to hear BD or SCV, you will hear a marked difference. IMO, Cavies still have their trademark dark, blended sound, which is one thing I like about them.

Capital Sound

I love this show. The music of Elton John, Kansas, Pink Floyd is well designed and well performed. The Danny Elfman piece is the hit for me anyway, just love those minor keys.

The drumline is much better, the hornline very capable of pulling off some great things. It should be a good year for them.

Great review, Frank. I love "Curious Carnival" too but the ballad, "On the Turning away" is almost making me cry. I LOVE that song.

BTW, it was WAY cool to meet you Andrew Wheeler and your wife Thursday!

-Terri

I just love these reviews...you guys are doing great!!! Keep them coming!!!

Blue Stars

This is a show of past hits from the last thirty years.  I wish they would have brought back something from earlier in the 70s instead of later in that decade--like First Federal March instead of Jewish Trilogy.  

Well, Jewish Trilogy is where our corps song comes from, so that's why we picked that. If you'd like to hear First Federal, come to a parade :D

Ahhh cool!! I did not know that :) You guys do First Federal in Parades with all the tempo changes?? Oh yeah, looks weird without a Furlano in front of the corps!

That's more a result of those specific horns than anything else. Yamahas are not as well-designed for projection as the Dynasties or Kanstuls are. If you get a chance to hear BD or SCV, you will hear a marked difference. IMO, Cavies still have their trademark dark, blended sound, which is one thing I like about them.

I figured that...must be why I saw the sign on Cavie's souvie booth announcing that now you too can play a horn played by a Cavalier! They're for sale after the season..but those prices!!! I think I saw $995 for a baritone! I think I'll just keep playing my G (well I have to cause of DCA rules) baritone that I bought from Cadets for $300! :) Hey, it won DCI!

Ahhh cool!!  I did not know that :)   You guys do First Federal in Parades with all the tempo changes??  Oh yeah, looks weird without a Furlano in front of the corps!

Heh...well, Nick's a little different, but he's done a great job so far. No, we don't have all the tempo changes in there, but we do keep a good pace up with it, and it's sounding pretty good.

I figured that...must be why I saw the sign on Cavie's souvie booth announcing that now you too can play a horn played by a Cavalier!   They're for sale after the season..but those prices!!!  I think I saw $995 for a baritone!  I think I'll just keep playing my G (well I have to cause of DCA rules) baritone that I bought from Cadets for $300! :)   Hey, it won DCI!

Yeah, individual prices on those horns aren't exactly great, although admittedly they have more applications than a G bugle. However, if you bought a whole line of them, or even just one section, chances are you wouldn't pay that much. I don't care what key my horn is in; I just wish I had a bigger one. I've pretty much reached the physical limits of my horn. When I hear "Contras, I could use some more," I feel like Scotty talking to the captain, "She canna take any more o' it! She needs more power! Ye canna defy the laws of physics!"