Bach 3C

Shintao

I just got a Bach 3C, after playing a Shilke 17, and a Kanstul CG3. The 3c isn't much in the way of difference in dimensions, but it seems to play very open and needs much more support. I like the 3C a lot, but am confused as to why it plays so differently. The rim is a lot sharper, and the throat is a little narrower, but I didn't think that made as much of a difference. What are the different opinions of different mouthpieces?

Personally I would have never gone back, or whatnot, to the Bach 3c. The Shilke is a better mouthpiece IMO. I use Warburton moutpieces for concert, marching, and orchestral playing, and a Bob Reeves for jazz band. But every brand is alittle different because the manufacturer takes differen't aspects to be thier more important feature. In my exprience Bach just tends to make thiers more mello and "average" (for lack of a better word) to suit most people. I use a Warburton with a wide open (straight) back bore and a deep cup and its open as anything can be. But the Bob reeves offers more support by having alittle more pressure allowed to build up for ease of playing higher, but the lower register is not lost to me either.

Shilke from the little I experimented with them seem to be kind of a re modeled Bach. I like them better than Bach MPCs. If they fit your embrochure well, then they seem to give more support than Bach and keeping it as wide open as a medium cup will allow.

Umm, i wish i had more experince with other mouthpieces. But i'm happy with the Warbutron and Bob Reeves i use now. And they both seem to maximize my capabilities for me. So I see no reason at this point to continue to experiment. But if your unhappy with your current types, then experiment. You need a good week or 2 for each mouthpiece to feel how it'll work for you, thats with several horus of playing everyday for a week or 2. For more time-restricted players (aka non-music majors.. haha) it make take more than a week or 2 truely feel out the MPC. Woodwind and Brasswind dot com offers a 40 return policy for most mouthpieces still I believe, thats where I tried out the Warburton Brand. Hope this is useful...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mafields627

I currently play on a Stork 2C and spent about 4 years on a 3C, which I still fiddle with occasionally. I find the 3C to be much stuffier that what I require. The standard throat on a 3C is a 27 and my Stork is a 25 which allows for more air to be put through the piece, thus giving a bigger sound. Also, the rim on my Stork is narrower than the 3C. I felt that the cup diameter and the rim width of the 3C were pinning my lips and was not allowing them to move in a neccessary manner. Since going to the Stork 2C my flexibility, endurance, and range have improved. The only downside is that the rim is not conducive to clean tonguing.

Note: The size of Bach 3C mouthpieces varies GREATLY! It is possible to have two that are entirely different depending on when they were made. If you are looking at switching, I would suggest going with a company like Stork, Curry, Warburton, or GR (the last two if you're not limited in funds) that use computer controlled machinery to make their pieces consistent. Also, you will get excellent personal support from those companies so you won't be wandering blindly. A mouthpiece safari can be a truly horrible experience if you're not careful.