Jupiter horns?

DCIFanOfAllDivisions

What does everyone think of Jupiter horns? They have a good lease program for schools, and if their budget gets shot down... they can return the instruments for no additional cost, unless their lease it up, then they own the horns.

How are the sound of the horns compared to others

How about quality and durability?

curious from those who have played these...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are taiwan-made stuff, very thin brass and don't tolerate much abuse unlike most domestic brands. i've played some jupiter concert brass, and it's comperable to the 70's yamaha horns. decent sound and the valves work well enough for student instruments.

fwiw, jupiter's quality is a thousand times better than the brazilian-made weril/deg dynasty stuff.

I've played jupiter student trumpets, mellophones, and various french horns. I think their student trumpets are not too bad, but I don't like the mellophone much, and (as a horn major) I wouldn't put even the rankest amateur or beginner on one of their french horns if there was ANY other feasable option available.

I've played one of the concert tubas with a small ensemble before. I felt held back, it was stuffy and inflexible to me. It would work for a school on a budget with new players just learning. But as time goes on, it would be better to move them up to better horns. Take it at face value I guess.

I've tried a jupiter trombone and trumpet... not too fond of them. They just dont work for me.

Oy...

I've said it once and I'll say it again: there's more to a horn's cost than the initial price. A good rule of thumb is, the less you spend on it in the beginning, the more you'll spend on it in the repair shop. Yamaha and Jupiter both fall under this rule, big-time. Cheap, shoddy products that can't stand up to the rigors of high school; I have no idea why corps choose them. The sound doesn't seem that impressive to me. The Kanstul and Dynasty equipment is much sturdier, and sounds and plays better, IMO.

So, in conclusion, Jupiter is not recommended. <**>

Amen.