Kanstul Grande Bari?

Willard

Guys,

I am in the very early stages of considering buying a new bari. Looking at the Kanstul website, I noticed both a "bari" and a "Grande bari". Exactly how do these horns compare?

1) I've been told that the Grande has a richer, fuller sound. Is its range (esp. high register) affected or limited?

2) Does the Grande help produce more volume, that is, a louder sound?

3) For lead or solo work, which horn is best suited?

4) What other advantages does the grande offer over the regular bari?

Thanks!!!

I can't really speak of comparing them, since I've only got experience with the Bass Baritone Grande, but I will say that it's a fine horn. As for what kind of playing it's suited to...that's up to the player. If it's possible, I'd try them both out and see which you like. There might be a corps nearby that will let you try at least one of them out if they have them.

Kanstul has a 3 day free inspection.Return it if you are not satisfied and you will get a full refund.All you pay is the shipping.

I just realized that I was talking to you Willard>never mind!

Email on the way.

You might cross post this in the Alumni section.It seems to get a we bit more traffic over there.

I have experience with these horns in G. We purchased them at the Naval Academy Drum & Bugle corps 2 years ago. We have a mixed line of regular Baris, Garnde Baris, and Euphs.

Im my opinion the Grande gives off a fuller sound, but it also requires more support and direction to your air. I would not reccomned this horn to someone who is not playing everyday. The horn has a larger bore and in general is more open, therefore it requires you to work the air more. The horn is also wrapped differently. The tubing is wrapped so it is a lot more open and not as compressed as the regular bari. This will help to horn to resonate better and give that fuller sound. It is also part of the reason why you really need to support your air on this horn. Since our guys play them everyday, this isn't an issue for us.

I don't know much about the upper register playing on this horn, as we do not use this horn in the upper register. I imagine it will give you less back pressure up top allowing you to put more air through your high notes, similar to the powerbore soprano. I have not treid it up there though, so i coudn't help you there.

The horn is a very solid horn oerall and I would reccomend it for solo or ensemble playing. It is very balanced also for the size of it. Try both horns out and see which suits you better as a player. Sometimes the best horns are always intended for certain players.