International Division

Smudge

You won't find much on it. But the division was created in 1998 to allow corps from outside the DCI circuit to compete at DCI World CHampionships while obeying rules set by their home circuit.

So basically age limit, number of performers, and stuff like that wouldn't keep a corps from competing. However, they wouldn't be able to qualify for a D1/2/3 placement. So for example in 2002, Yamato (a now registered North American Corps) placed 13th in the 2/3 top 12. Taipei was 12th, but because they were in the International division due to what I think was age of some members, instead of them being awarded 3rd place in Division 3, they were awarded Champions of the International Division with Yamato being awarded 3rd in Division 3. However, they toured and performed as a Division 3 corps. It's strange and confusing all at the same time, but does it make sense now?

Edited by bari_benzo

• 1 month later...

Beatrix from Holland will compete this year in the international Devision.

Reason is the age limit. There are members over 21.

Here in Europe we have no age-limit (exept UK). Som basically all competing corps are all-age corps. Some have a younger average some are older. Very simular to DCA. Corps doing a part-time tour will not be sadisfied with the DCA contest schedule, due to weekend-only performances. Some most corps decide to tour in the international class of DCI. Corps comming over want to feel DCI-air. They are far away from DCI level. School education system and short summer holidays made the difference. It's not possible to have the members together for 3 months. Anyway, the European corps do also Drum Corps, with their hearts and their soul and you see very often very talented boys and girls marching with all DCI corps from the US and Canada.

Take care

Oliver

Starriders Drum & Bugle Corps '97 - '03

New York Skyliners '01

uh, it's Taipei :)

My appologies. I fixed it :)

I was given a little update on the International Division stuff for this summer.

If Beatrix for will be marching over 21 (age) members then they will still compete as a division 2 corps, but only be awarded an International Division placement. However, in able to be awarded an International Division medal placement, they have to be one of the division 2/3 top 12 that will compete in Saturday's competition.

Rule still stands though that an International corps cannot bump a domestic corps out of finals. So if Beatrix is one of the top 12, then there will be 13 corps competiting on Saturday. But if they are placed 13th or lower, to my understanding they will not be given an International Division medal placement.

• 2 years later...

At last I found this thread. b**bs

Hey, guys. Nice to be here. I am a new member. :)

I noticed that the brief introduction to the international division remained on dci.org without any further information about its cancellation. But, hasn't the international division been canceled?

In the beginning of Taipei Yuehfu's DCI tour in 2005, our former Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Hsu, told us it seemed there was no longer the international division for such an international corps as Yuehfu to join. That was why Yuehfu competed as a div. III corps throughout the tour.

Uh, does the remaining intro just suggest a matter of the delayed update, or really indicate that we were mistaken?

I wonder how other international corps have been confronted with this situation.

Can anyone help me figure out what happened to the rules? Thanks.

Hi Apple!!

I don't think it's been cancelled as I think Jubal is competing this this year under it. Word around last year was that Yuehfu had in fact met all qualifications (including age limit) to not have to compete as an international corps, allowing them to be awarded a division placement.

Edited by bari_benzo

Hi Apple!!

I don't think it's been cancelled as I think Jubal is competing this this year under it. Word around last year was that Yuehfu had in fact met all qualifications (including age limit) to not have to compete as an international corps, allowing them to be awarded a division placement.

Oh. I see. Thank you!

Interesting. So actually it was an honor for us from DCI. :blink:

This piece of information is very different from what we perceived from our staff last year.

Well, I think we did misunderstand DCI's good intentions.