Drummers, what's your first choice instrument?

MelloBear

Percussion people, what's your first choice instrument to play in the battery?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Percussion people, what's your first choice instrument to play in the battery?

• Snare
    • Tenors
    • Bass
    • Cymbals

Tenors FOR SURE.........nothing like the excitement of multiple drums.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "snare" since that's what I've played virtually my entire drum corps career. If I was going to march in junior corps TODAY, however, I'd definitely march tenors. Waaay more notes, cooler parts, almost as many chicks would be attracted! b**bs

Snare, because:

(1) The instrument is super-articulate (the most articulate in the entire corps, by far), which makes

(2) Playing clean as a line the most demanding task in the battery and

(3) Requires the best chops, timing and listening skills in the battery.

:ducking thrown objects:

Plus, I just love the sound of a snare drum.

Snare, because:

(1) The instrument is super-articulate (the most articulate in the entire corps, by far), which makes

Haha, all the reasons I'd rather play tenors! You're obviously more talented and disciplined than am I. But I also like playing multiple drums. Sticking to one sort of requires discipline, too. Shakos and Aussies off to ya! :blink:

Edited by dmfootworks

i would love to be the bottom bass.......especially during SCV 2001.....if only i had a back made of steel.......

by the way....moving to percussion forum for organizational reasons

i would love to be the bottom bass.......especially during SCV 2001.....if only i had a back made of steel.......

by the way....moving to percussion forum for organizational reasons

Thanks for killing the thread by relegating it to the perc ghetto, Joe.

<_<

Snare because

Not necessarily.

All sections have their difficulties, bass has to blend anywhere up to 6 or so people just to make one musical tonal phrase. if one of those people is missing from thier part, it just dont sound good. Tenors have drum to drum patterns and sometimes just as many notes as snares, plus having to feel through 5 or 6 different head tensions trying to play them all equally to create an equal sound. And everyone should have good chops becuase a line is as they say "only as good as its weakest player." I know that isnt always true, but it does make a HUGE difference.

$.02

Equality of players = good line

Edited by Evan

BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gbassman5

Snare because

Not necessarily.

All sections have their difficulties, bass has to blend anywhere up to 6 or so people just to make one musical tonal phrase. if one of those people is missing from thier part, it just dont sound good. Tenors have drum to drum patterns and sometimes just as many notes as snares, plus having to feel through 5 or 6 different head tensions trying to play them all equally to create an equal sound. And everyone should have good chops becuase a line is as they say "only as good as its weakest player." I know that isnt always true, but it does make a HUGE difference.

$.02

Equality of players = good line

Well said!

It is has to say which section is the most difficult and requires the best chops. I think they all have their thoughness. Basses = Timing, Tenors = Sticking, Snares = Cleanliness, Pit = togetherness. Don't get me wrong those are just a few right off hand. And not the main one for each.

I know when I when I started playing drums, there was a lot of "territorialness" about the different sections. Even trying to out do each other, which at times affected the line as a whole. I have seen that in teaching a little bit as well.

Anyway, I know some bass players that have better chops than snare players and play just as many notes on their bass as the snares do.