First time marching Contra

swtrojan

This is my first time marching Contra (well its a convertible concert tuba) Any advice on how not to kill my self this summer!!?? And is it better or worse than baritone? Thanks!

Edited by swtrojan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm a rookie this year and picked baritone because the contra scared me a little.... :blink:

In talking with some of the vets the only thing I can tell you "bad" about the contra is that, in the words of one particular vet, "parades are a #####". But given time, I'm sure you'll build up the muscles needed.

I've only been playing mine for a few months now but it's really not too bad. The main thing you have to be careful about is not killing your fellow hornline members. Watch those teeth gang!

Its my understand that being dumb and ugly are two key factors in determining if you will be a good contra player. :blink:

My tuba playing days ended in high school and we used sousaphones. My first year of Junior Corps I played Contra and the only negative to it is standing at attention. If you want to practice, get a 40 lb. bag of dog food and hold it out in front of you while standing at attention....it's great fun. It'll hurt your shoulder for a while, but you'll get used to it.

When i went to canos camp i about killed my self i hurt for like two weeks they thing im hearing i might go to the colts and the have regualr contras HELP!!! ill deal with it!

I'm marching Contra with Colts this year and so far I can say Contra is easier to hold then Euph or Bari. Only two things are roughin the beginning: Keeping your left hand on the higher tubing instead of letting it slip down to the lower stuff and standing at attention.

Yea, I can keep my hand up on the higher tubing for a while but then I will suddenly realize I'm holding the bottom tubing. It's easier on the arm but not as stable.

Its my understand that being dumb and ugly are two key factors in determining if you will be a good contra player. :blink:

See, I KNEW I wouldn't be good at contra, I had two strikes against me going in!

<ducks and covers>

Im goin to the Next Colts Camp to try out for contra. Right Now there are problems with the Americanos ( cant go in to specifics) that may force us not march. I have a feeling im going to kill myself as when i went to my first canos camp. Like i said Ill deal with it.