Kelly Mouthpieces?

rebu

If they're as crappy as the plastic ones I've seen, they probably sound crappy.

Yes Ive played on one. Id much rather play on a metal mouthpiece....their big thing is for playing in the "elements". like heat or cold. but I dont like the way it feels

• 1 month later...

in my experience, they play really sharp, but, they did save one of our trumpet's butts at BOA Grand Nationals...he forgot his mouthpiece at home, and we'd just driven several hours from ohio to indy, and so while we were waiting in the airlocks to go on field, our instructor ran (well, more like sprinted) up to the kelly booth and bought him a 3C...it was cheap, and it worked, but it still plays really sharp, so much so that i had trouble compensating for it...they are pretty though, and i'd like to try the french horn style mouthpiece...

i have 2 low brass (12c and 6-1/2al) kelly mouthpieces, mostly for playing outdoors during christmas or at football games. they feel good, but their tone isn't as dark as a metal mouthpiece. they are really great for playing outdoors in winter though.

I love them. The only problem that I (and several guys in the studio) have encountered was that you can't play loud on them. I mean, you can, but it will sound uncharacteristic. But other than that, they are in some ways better than brass. They are vitually indestuctable, not temperature sensative, and some prefer the plastic feeling to brass. Plus they come in SO MANY COOL COLORS!! Yep, so there's my $.02

in my experience, they play really sharp,

They duplicate the contours of "other" brands such as Bach and Yamaha and the Helleberg tuba/contra piece... and as such, the pitch should be no different. Shank length differences could do that, but not the material a mouthpiece is made of. Read Mr. Schilke's clinic paper on the Schilkemusic.com site in "Archives". Paper discusses the physics of horns, mouthpieces and your mouth cavity.

I know the guy that makes these. He's 15 minutes up the road from me in Fond du Lac. Terrific guy. A euphonium player that owns a precision machine shop. Found a way to combine his career and hobby. Good for him!!!

A friend with Illinois Brass Band tried one of my samples (5C), and his only negative comment was that at certain frequencies - pitches, he got a sort of vibratory feedback from it, as it has much less mass than a metal mouthpiece (part of the supposed physics behind "megatone" slugs). Everything has a resonating frequency, you know, but more mass resists the resonating. Or whatever. I'm just an artist. He sounded great on the 5C on his vintage Bach Strad. I have one, but still prefer my special little monster. Pretty soon he'll be able to cut custom ones, and I'll be in line for a plastic version of a Schilke 58E2d.

These things are great for cold weather -- and don't get too hot in the sun on the field (not sure about the black ones -- there is a Kiltie contra playing one... I'll ask.)