Switching from Low Brass to Trumpet

Brian

ok here's the rundown-

started sax fifth grade, marched sax 3 years of HS, switched to baritone senior year, auditioned at Div. 1 corp for baritone, got in, marched some camps, parents go pyscho and now I'm not marching 2004.

So I am now focusing all my attention on 2005.

I said I was going to learn trumpet in College, well now I have some more free time to do so this summer <**>

I want to learn trumpet, regardless of marching corp, BUT I would love nothing more to march trumpet, lets say maybe 3rd part, hey I know my limitations.

so I need to start learning and practicing my ### off

I would love nothing more than to march 2005 on trumpet, yes I can still play bari/euph, but I have attachment to trumpet, it's the brass instrument I truly love:wub:

I need to find a good moutpiece, a trumpet to rent, technique literature, and most possibly private lessons, I'm willing to go for this, needless to say I'm pretty ###### about 04..... :(

Please help, even the most basic things you could think of can help me, thanks

I went from alto sax to bari sax to tuba and then to trumpet (and here I'll stay). I'd be happy to speak with you at length off board, as there is so much to speak of. There's no reason to limit yourself to third part, though.

Shoot me an email or pm and let the learning begin!!

Best thing I can tell you is get a decent medium cup mouthpiece Like a 7c bach and practice lip slurs and the 20 min G exercise a bunch.Don't go to a shallow mouthpiece right off the bet even if it brings you up a few notes in range.

Your lips need time to flex and your chops need a chance to tighten up.I know that might sound like a oxymoron but its true.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...