SCV Saturday

Well, yesterday I didnt have much to do, so I thought I'd check out SCV's rehearsal. I was really excited to see what all the Scherezade buzz is about. I must say its going to be a great show.

I got at the school at about 1 and was just in time for drill. The drill at least what I saw is very fast (180 ish-opener) and will definately be exciting. I didnt have a good view of the drill since there were no stands. So I sat at field level for visual rehearsal. Horns were for the majority were without their instruments, while percussion played their parts when moving. There was a great ammount of cleaning done. It is uncertain to me if they were marching the opener or the closer. Nonetheless, it was exciting to watch. I was very impressed with the rehearsal ettiqute. It was straight buisness. Not too much in the way of humor or relaxation throughout rehearsal. At about 5:30 they broke for dinner, so I went to grab some fast food.

After dinner, I arrived to see the hornline warming up. I counted approx. 20 bari's, 8 contras, 12 mellos and 20 sops. I'm assuming that there were maybe four or five missing people. I must say that Gino is intense at rehearsing the group. He expects nothing less than perfection. The group did a lot of slurring and pedal tone exercises. Also they closed with that nice choral ballad that they had posted on their web page. After this 30-45 minute warm up they broke into sectionals. I stayed with the sops and watched them rehearse. I think I counted about half or so as returning vets. They worked on shaping, dynamics and double tounging. Its a fairly technical book for the sops, especially with all the little musical treats in the music. Sectionals lasted for about 90 minutes. Also, baritones sounded really loud. I was with the sops but could hear the bari's really well off in the distance.

After sectionals they had brass ensemble. They took each piece and rehearsed it by section until they had completed the song, then they performed the entire song.

The first piece starts off loud. It has some tempo changes in it and a drum break down. The drum break is really cool. Its more of a modern beat and oddly fits with the piece. By the end of the first piece the tempo is 190. The second tune is slower and definately has a lot of melodic shaping to it. Definately loud. The final piece they didnt have much time to rehearse so they just ran it. There are some sweet little mello runs in the closer and the tempo again is rather quick. Its bound to be a really competative show. The brass sound is really well developed. Last year, I thought their high end sounded a but shrill, but the blend is very nice this year. There is a trumpet trio in there somewhere. Also a very nice bari solo. I was really impressed with their sticking to the tempo, only a handfull of times were they off tempo. For the most part they were right with the metronome.

In addition I must say the drum major is tight. He definately knows his stuff, and is a natural leader. Throughout the day, he was solid. Very professional !!.

Well thats about all I have to say. They wrapped up rehearsal a little after 10 and then went back to the gym. I then took off. It seems to me that they are (and I can only speak from my experience) at least mid June level right now. The music is great. The drill from what I could tell was good, but I dont know how far along they are with their other two pieces on the field.

Anyways, lets hope for some video from SCV on their webpage soon!

I am glad you got to see it...

The drill you saw was the opener... we were getting the guard in.

At ensemble, we actually rehearsed the show backwards... so the cool mello licks were actually in the opener.

I am glad you like the show. Come out on May 30th so you can see the music and drill (in uniform). It should be great!

(pre emptively deleted out of fear of impending severe censures by the moderation staff of DCP)

Edited by ContraRich77