Wichita Falls Thoughts

Alright, this is only my third live corps show, so pardon my lack of in-depthness. This is all done off the top of my head.

Leaving from Austin, I was planning a 5 hour drive. My dad was taking me this time, and it was going to be his first live drum corps show, so I was excited to see his reaction. We hit rain coming out of Austin, and then again in Fort Worth, so we were waay behind schedule. We got to the stadium at 6:45, and I noticed how empty it was.

We hadn't reserved tickets before hand, and all they had avaliable were General Admission tickets. Ended up working out well, becuase we could sit anywhere as long as no one else had reserved that seat. I got seats 1 row down from the press box on the 40, so definitely a good viewing area.

I have never seen a show this early in the season, so I'm really sorry if my comments seem a bit harsh.

So Americanos were first up to take the field. I had no idea what to expect since I had never seen a Division 3 corps. These kids surprised me to say the least. They were small, maybe 20 horns and a decent drumline (4s/3t/5b). You could definetly tell these kids were young, although it's an entertaining show. The staff really needs to do SOMETHING about their hats, at least 5 kids had the hats fall back, only held on by the string around their necks, and I saw at least 2 hats fly off the kids' head, one that could have been disasturous near the end. The corps still has a few holes and only 5 guard, but I assume they did well for such a small group. I'm afraid to comment on the quality of the performance (being my first viewing of a div 3 and so early in the season), but I did enjoy it....

Memphis Sound was up next. I have never seen these guys either. They were already MUCH bigger than Americanos and you could tell. They played a jazzy program that I really, really enjoyed! For a division 2, these guys could be a serious contender in Denver. The hornline sounded really good for this early in the season, although there were some horn angle issues and such. The show really got my dad bobbing his head and he enjoyed it.

Troopers were up next. I was dissapointed not to see the Sunburst (is that what it's called?) entrance. Last year it was really cool. The drumline here is definitely their strong point, although these kids can really lay it out compared to last year. This is definitely not last year's Troopers, and I saw them 3 weeks later last year. THey had a very enjoyable show.

There was a 10 minute intermission.

Blue Knights were on next. One word - UNBELIVABLE!!!! Wow, their hornline absolutely tore the house down. SO MANY just absolute WOW moments. Their show had by far the best crowd response of the night, like I told my friend, "So many awesome moments that make you want to jump up and throw your baby." Their hornline actually made the stands shake. I REALLY enjoyed this show...

Glassmen...This show doesn't do it for me. It's not their style, and they can't really pull it off. The music was too choppy and didn't flow very well. Just didn't do it for me....

About this time i saw lightning off in the distance and was worried the show wouldn't finish when i felt some drops.....

Phantom Regiment....my favorite corps....the reason why I came to this show....So I'm a bit bias? I felt the excitement in the stands when we saw those white unis walking down the ramp (which btw was REALLY steep....). The show dissapointed me a bit. I was really expecting more, but they were still in that "Harmonic Journey 2003" menatlity, and tried to make the show WAY too much like last year. I was able to pick up a bunch of little things that were just like last year, YET this is a completely different style of music. If they had wiped the slate clean and started over with the mentality that it was a different style, they could pull this show off. EVERYTHING is better, except the show design. To give an idea, the "big hit/recap" part like the canon reprise last year, followed by the crab step....well, I didn't even realize it was the reprise until they started crab stepping....they took about 5 steps and then kept going, no jump or 360 spin. I can only hope they'll add this in later. Overall, I didn't like the show until the victory concert when I heard it about 10ft away. Then I was really drooling.....

America/O'Canada was NOT butchered last night, it was actually BEAUTIFUL with no trumpets playing up in the stratosphere. Scores weren't surprising....

I LOVED Elsa's Procession, but Amazing Grace is still better ;) I really really really liked regiment's music after the victory concert......

Also, what's the deal with all the young kids in regiment this year? Talking to a friend of mine whose boyfriend is in the corps, apparently one of their conductors is 15, the snare on the end is 17 and has been in there since he was 15, and one of the sops (i think) is 16 and has been in since he was 12.....it's amazing.

Oh, and I'll post pictures from last night later, I'm too tired right now.

Americanos......The staff really needs to do SOMETHING about their hats, at least 5 kids had the hats fall back, only held on by the string around their necks, and I saw at least 2 hats fly off the kids' head, one that could have been disasturous near the end.

I agree with ya there --- the wind was not in their favor last night. I kinda felt sorry for them trying to fight the wind and their hat obstacles on the field.

Also, what's the deal with all the young kids in regiment this year? Talking to a friend of mine whose boyfriend is in the corps, apparently one of their conductors is 15, the snare on the end is 17 and has been in there since he was 15, and one of the sops (i think) is 16 and has been in since he was 12.....it's amazing.

The 12 year old actually started when he was 13 (14 by the time the summer came around). He is scheduled to age-out in 2009.

He was abruptly given the nickname "Fetus"

Dave Gilday

Phantom Regiment 1998-2001

The 12 year old actually started when he was 13 (14 by the time the summer came around). He is scheduled to age-out in 2009.

He was abruptly given the nickname "Fetus"

Dave Gilday

Phantom Regiment 1998-2001

Ah, that's right, she told me that....I think he marched Spirit when he was 12....That's still incredible :rolleyes::rolleyes::worthy:

Both of Phantom Regiment's drum majors are ageouts, and no one in the snare line has been a member more than one previous year (there are three second-year vets and six rookies). All of the snare drummers are in college.

Fetus is not your typical 15-16-year-old drum corps member as he has grown up in the activity -- mom and dad both teach drum corps.

Greg

Both of Phantom Regiment's drum majors are ageouts, and no one in the snare line has been a member more than one previous year (there are three second-year vets and six rookies). All of the snare drummers are in college.

Fetus is not your typical 15-16-year-old drum corps member as he has grown up in the activity -- mom and dad both teach drum corps.

Greg

hey Greg!

Who are fetus's parents

Greg

There is no way this kid was in college, he looked much younger :worthy:

If you are referring to the male drum major, he is indeed in college and has been featured on the DCI website. See below:

The DCI.org interview: David Simon, Phantom Regiment drum major

4/26/2004 -- 12:11 PM CST

Name, hometown, corps: David Simon, from Austin, Texas; Phantom Regiment

What is your role in the corps this summer? Conductor (that means drum major in everyone-but-Phantom-Regiment language).

Where do you go to school, and what extracurricular activities are you involved with there? I am a music education major at Baylor University, in Waco, Texas. I am the PR officer for the Baylor University Music Educators Association, and I serve as community service vice president for the Baylor chapter of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. I am also on the cycling team.